AT&T NEXT Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nburwell, Jan 30, 2015.

1. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Long story short, I have a silver/white iPhone 6 that I’m currently making payments on via AT&T NEXT. Since I have read conflicting information, I wanted to see that if I’m still making payments on the phone, can I sell it? Or do I have to wait until I pay the phone off? Ultimately I want to purchase the space gray 6, however, I’m past the return period.

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

You can sell it but you're still obligated to make the rest of the payments.

3. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

You can sell the phone whenever you want, but you will need to pay it off, or continue making the payments obviously. Also, you should disclose to the buyer that the phone is financed. You'll probably have a hard time selling it since it is not paid off.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Why? The loan is against your AT&T account, not your phone.

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

They will blacklist the phone if the OP stops paying after they sell it.

6. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have no plans to stop making payments on the phone. I'm mainly concerned about the phone working on the buyers AT&T account. I'll probably end up just paying the remaining balance before I sell it.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

If you plan on paying it off, before or after the sale, there will be no problems.

8. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Just take the money from the sale and pay it off with ATT so its free and clear and just do Next on another line.
    I assume you can do Next at any time as long as the prior line is paid off?

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yup. I paid off my iPhone 6 and got on next again with a 6plus in December.

10. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I did the same back at the beginning of the month.

11. rgctx macrumors regular

No need to disclose as long as you make your payments. I have sold/traded next phones on my account and never have a hard time selling them.

12. mustafu macrumors newbie

I've never seen any reports of next phones being blacklisted for nonpayment. As far as I understand, the balance owed is against the account owner, not the phone. Atts next FAQ even states that you own the device, contrary to what is thought.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've read conflicting information about this (on forums). I also haven't read anywhere with AT&T's policy that specifically mentions either way.

So, I ask you, because I don't know, are you speaking from personal experience? Did you read this somewhere?

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Most likely if it hasn't been paid for 60 days, they will stop your service. While they don't have the right to blacklist the phone, but they can stop your service until you pay some of it off. If not paid for a certain amount of time it will likely go to collections.

My wireless account was under my mom's name and we decided to transfer the ownership to my wife. For 2 month we have not received any bills from them from the old account (as most we do online), so we got a notice giving us the final date and if we don't pay up that they will stop the service. I immediately chatted with AT&T rep online and paid it off. Asked what would happen, said if I hadn't opened that letter, they would have stopped my service.

Happened to my friend a few times.

15. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

You'll have to pay off the remaining balance and then you can sell it. If you're still making payments on it, it's still AT&T's property.