Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 6, 2008
DE
Long story short, I have a silver/white iPhone 6 that I’m currently making payments on via AT&T NEXT. Since I have read conflicting information, I wanted to see that if I’m still making payments on the phone, can I sell it? Or do I have to wait until I pay the phone off? Ultimately I want to purchase the space gray 6, however, I’m past the return period.

Thanks!

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Long story short, I have a silver/white iPhone 6 that I’m currently making payments on via AT&T NEXT. Since I have read conflicting information, I wanted to see that if I’m still making payments on the phone, can I sell it? Or do I have to wait until I pay the phone off? Ultimately I want to purchase the space gray 6, however, I’m past the return period.

Thanks!

You can sell the phone whenever you want, but you will need to pay it off, or continue making the payments obviously. Also, you should disclose to the buyer that the phone is financed. You'll probably have a hard time selling it since it is not paid off.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You can sell the phone whenever you want, but you will need to pay it off, or continue making the payments obviously. Also, you should disclose to the buyer that the phone is financed. You'll probably have a hard time selling it since it is not paid off.

Why? The loan is against your AT&T account, not your phone.

nburwell

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 6, 2008
DE
I have no plans to stop making payments on the phone. I'm mainly concerned about the phone working on the buyers AT&T account. I'll probably end up just paying the remaining balance before I sell it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I have no plans to stop making payments on the phone. I'm mainly concerned about the phone working on the buyers AT&T account. I'll probably end up just paying the remaining balance before I sell it.

If you plan on paying it off, before or after the sale, there will be no problems.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Just take the money from the sale and pay it off with ATT so its free and clear and just do Next on another line.
I assume you can do Next at any time as long as the prior line is paid off?

rgctx

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Also, you should disclose to the buyer that the phone is financed. You'll probably have a hard time selling it since it is not paid off.

No need to disclose as long as you make your payments. I have sold/traded next phones on my account and never have a hard time selling them.

mustafu

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
I've never seen any reports of next phones being blacklisted for nonpayment. As far as I understand, the balance owed is against the account owner, not the phone. Atts next FAQ even states that you own the device, contrary to what is thought.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They will blacklist the phone if the OP stops paying after they sell it.

I've read conflicting information about this (on forums). I also haven't read anywhere with AT&T's policy that specifically mentions either way.

So, I ask you, because I don't know, are you speaking from personal experience? Did you read this somewhere?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I've read conflicting information about this (on forums). I also haven't read anywhere with AT&T's policy that specifically mentions either way.

So, I ask you, because I don't know, are you speaking from personal experience? Did you read this somewhere?

Most likely if it hasn't been paid for 60 days, they will stop your service. While they don't have the right to blacklist the phone, but they can stop your service until you pay some of it off. If not paid for a certain amount of time it will likely go to collections.

My wireless account was under my mom's name and we decided to transfer the ownership to my wife. For 2 month we have not received any bills from them from the old account (as most we do online), so we got a notice giving us the final date and if we don't pay up that they will stop the service. I immediately chatted with AT&T rep online and paid it off. Asked what would happen, said if I hadn't opened that letter, they would have stopped my service.

Happened to my friend a few times.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

Thanks!

You'll have to pay off the remaining balance and then you can sell it. If you're still making payments on it, it's still AT&T's property.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.