Carrier AT&T Next - Trade In Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zimmy68, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

My plan is to trade in my wife's 5c (only has about $40 to pay off with trade) and use that upgrade for a 6s Plus, and give her my current 6 Plus.

How does the physical trade work?
    I read their FAQ and it talks about sending it via mail, etc.

Do I have to have the phone on me when I purchase? I would think so but how would that affect ordering it online?
    Do I have a window/time frame to turn it in?
    Its much easier to check AT&T since I work close to a store then to drag her around with her phone to check if they have stock.

What about using Next at another store like Best Buy or Target, do you give them the old phone?

Thanks.

2. Zimmy68 thread starter macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Really?

No one else did a trade in with AT&T Next?

I'm looking to save a trip if possible.
    If anyone knows about it, let me know.
    Thanks.

3. Nino313 macrumors member

I upgraded in the apple store today, and was told i have 10 days to mail my previous iPhone 6+ in or return it to the store. They even printed out a packaging slip for me and gave me a padded envelope.

4. Zimmy68 thread starter macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I received a return prepaid USPS label to use along with the box the 6S came in.

Bubble-bags saved, keeping the cord/headphones/charger.

6. jaw3net macrumors regular

jaw3net

Precisely what this person said. When you do the upgrade on the AT&T website, it will give you all the info you need regarding upgrading and trade-in. The time frame to send in the trade-in is usually 14 days from the date your new phone is received. Not sure if you can do Next at Best Buy or Target. If you can, I imagine you'd have to take the old phone with you. Though they may tell you to return it to AT&T directly.

7. fffizzz macrumors newbie

fffizzz

Your best bet is to just sell it when you're ready to upgrade and then pay it off through the portal. As long as you're not doing NeXT 24 you will still make money. I sold my phone for 460, owed 320 or so on it. You do the math. :)

Yes, this means you'll need to use a temp phone until the new one arrives, but its a far safer bet IMO.