Carrier AT&T Next trade in question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kungxpao, Aug 28, 2016.

1. kungxpao macrumors regular

kungxpao

Hey guys. Currently have the 6s plus and want to upgrade to the 7 when it comes out.

I am eligible for the "Pay to upgrade option". Am I able to preorder the 7 before I have to mail back the old phone? Or will AT&T have to receive my current phone before I am eligible to upgrade using NEXT?

Thanks in advance.

2. newtestleper macrumors 6502

Why would you not contact AT&T?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Give them a call and see what they have to say. I would assume you'll be able to order it and then send in your old phone but its better to get the details from them directly.

4. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Problem I see with doing that is why pay all that money on Next to basically forfeit your phone. Seems silly to me.

I'm quite sure your payments on the phone to this day don't transfer to a new device so you give that up to start a new payment plan? lol I paid off all next phones I had and just had AT&T unlock them and sold them.

5. aneftp macrumors 601

Cause most Americans (not all). But most are dumb. And carrier marketing research shows Americans look for the "lowest" price deal no matter the overall cost for att next to trade in at 12 months.

In Europe don't you have to put real down payments on cars? On homes?

Most American car loans are pushing 60 months these days with very little money down.

Most Americans home loans are 30 years plus very little down (still less than 10% these days).

6. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Hahaha. Yeah I saw on the AT&T portal it was basically saying trade in phone but I'd be starting a new plan? It made zero sense I can pay the remainder of the phone and sell it and recoup like 80% cost.

7. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

You will definitely make much more money to pay it off completely and then sell it on eBay. We do it every year. We're not "upgrading" this year though, as the 7 (or whatever they end up calling it) doesn't look to be worth it.

8. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Yeah just looking at what they offer just screams SCAM to me in every way. I guess whoever gets swindled deserves it.

9. Alexrat1996 Suspended

You buy the phone and pay fee then they will send you a box to send the 6s plus back

10. lordofthereef, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Depending on the next plan you are on you may have only paid off half the msrp of the phone. Come resell time you stand to make something like $50-100 when all is said and done. Not many people feel that max $100 savings is worth the time/effort/risk involved of selling.

Not about being stupid or not understanding or whatever you want to say about the general public. It's a msttter of convenience and some people choose that. I used to sell my phones when the return was much higher. With the scamming that goes on with online sales (yes I know there are safe ways to deal with this but just having to deal with frozen funds when someone tries to claim you sent them a dud or what have you is just not something in wishing to deal with) I am left with in person being the only comfortable option, and I feel like phones are a fine a dozen now that every carrier has them and is more than willing to unlock.

For those that want an example, a 16gb 6s plus is $31.25 per month for 24 months (trade in eligible at 12 payments). At $375 paid I can get a new phone from ATT or I can pay the remainder (another $375 lump sum) and sell it locally for around $450 (once the next device has launched and everyone is dumping their phones). In this scenario I "threw away" $75 for the convenience of walking into an ATT store and replacing my phone on the spot with virtually no additional effort. I'm willing to bet there are folks that spend far more than $75 a year on things I deem a complete waste. Some even pay $100 a year to companies like amazon to deliver items to their homes, a service I feel isn't worth the price of admission. To each their own, right?

11. darknyt, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

darknyt macrumors 6502a

Andddddd.... bingo was his name-o

And don't forget, most price scenarios people pitch to explain why NEXT upgraders are fools require timing the sale of the iPhone before the announcement to maximize resale so you are without your phone for some period of time, or back on an older one

With the recent change to a 24 month spread, no hassling with in-person sales, and always having the newest device - I see no compelling reason to mess with buying and reselling over trade in.

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don't think you are seeing it in the correct context.

Next is a 0% payment plan. My 64GB 6S is about $36 a month, meaning over the course of 12 months, the device has cost me approx. $432 compared to $749 if paid outright.

Now it's a question of what is your time worth, because iPhone 6S models just aren't commanding enough of a price locally to make me want to deal with private selling.

Example:

• Me on Next 64gb 6S: $749 - $432 = $317 not paid for my iPhone.
    • You buying outright: $749 - optimistically like $550 in private sale this close to a new iPhone launch = $199 going toward your new phone

Sorry but the difference is not incentive enough. The amount you might be up is completely meaningless compared to the convenience of walking into AT&T, giving them my old phone and walking out with a new one.

13. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

This will be the first year I have pre-ordered with a NEXT Plan phone to trade in....2 years ago i pre-ordered my iPhone 6+ with NExt from the Apple website. There was no issue. I have the 18 month plan so I can upgrade every 2 years. I'm now eligible to upgrade again and will have 10 days to send back my current phone once I get the new iPhone. If you need to pay some off to be eligible for an upgrade you need to call AT&T to find out what you would have to do.....also it's smart to know exactly what phone and plan you want before ordering (if you are going to pre-order) - taking your time will cost you getting a phone on launch day.

Cheers,
    Bobbie