AT&T Next Upgrade on Apple Site

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TigerMe, Sep 10, 2014.

1. TigerMe macrumors member

I'm eligible for an upgrade to the 6/6+.

According to the apple iOS app, it can't support upgrading to the iPhone 6 via the app if you are eligible via the ATT Next program.

Do we know if this will work by friday or if the apple site will support this? I'm sure the ATT site will but I would rather buy it through the apple site.

Any info appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll probably have to go into ATT and do the upgrade that way, since the NEXT program requires (correct me if I'm wrong) that you trade in your old phone. Apple is not set up to handle this sort of arrangement.

3. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

The app is working for me. I had tried yesterday afternoon after the announcement and again now. I can choose which phone, which Next plan, finish, and storage fine. It stops, of course, after storage. I had asked both AT&T and Apple about the plan also and both said it would work. Then again, I will be going from being on contract to Next, which is why it is working for me.

4. TigerMe thread starter macrumors member

Use the iPhone app and go through the "check if you are eligible" path. Eventually you will get to where it says "Next isn't supported in the apple online store and that I can upgrade by going to an ATT store" - which is the last thing I want to do.

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Works fine for me. I just walked through it with a 5s and it was going to let me put it in the cart with a Next 18 selected. I'm sure it will work fine on Friday, but I haven't seen the message you got.

6. qtrim macrumors regular

qtrim

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You aren't strictly wrong, but you dismiss the fact that there are tons of folks just now getting on the Next program, which wasn't around with the iPhone 5 yet (where a lot of people are seeing their two year contracts expire). That should allow you to order through Apple no problem.

I am hoping Apple's US stores get together and start accepting Next device trade-ins on Apple devices only. They already accept trade-ins on fully paid devices (different system, different group owns the phone at the end entirely, I am aware), but they are obviously qualified to look over the phones and make sure they are functional, which is my point entirely.

8. TigerMe thread starter macrumors member

App is current. See the screen shot I posted. I want to be able to do this through the apple online store Friday at midnight.

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Here's what I get:

Attached Files:

10. TigerMe thread starter macrumors member

Very odd. I'll check it later. I paid my bill earlier this morning which was the 12th payment. Maybe more info needs to get through the system.

11. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

So I just talked to an AT&T rep. I was under the impression that with the Next program, we would have to modify our plan and therefore I would lose my unlimited data.

The rep just informed me that I would simply be "Nexting" the device and would not have to make any plan changes and that I could pay it off at any point and would also not be under contract with them anymore.

This sounds too good to be true lol.

12. TigerMe thread starter macrumors member

I just went into an ATT store and spoke with a manager. If you are on a NEXT plan where you will be returning the phone, you have to do it through the ATT web site.

There are ways to do it on the Apple site but only if you plan on keeping the device and paying it off fully. Any scenario where you need to return the device has to be done through ATT.

13. lenard macrumors 6502

Everyone should remember the only time on the next plan do you have to return the phone is if you are replacing a next phone and the balance has not yet been paid off.