iPhone 11 Pro AT&T Next Upgrade Questions

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Hey all,

I'm on AT&T Next & I didn't upgrade last year to the XS (currently have a X). My X is paid off & I'm planning on trading it in to Apple to apply to the cost of the 11 Pro.

My question is can I sign up with a new AT&T Next plan at Apple & if so, will the plan reflect the "discounted" price after my trade in? My trade in will bring the 11 Pro down to $599, so theoretically my Next Plan will be for just $599 & not the original price of the plan, right?

Also, is it possible to pay even more to lower the Next plan? (ex. trade in the phone & then pay $200 down, so the next plan starts at $399?) Is this even an option? Thanks

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I am interested to see the answers. The options on the app look like it’s through Apple. It offers a 24 month plan, instead of 30 for the new Next. And doesnt mention the $5/mo fee you have to pay under the new Next to upgrade early.

I was going to buy through the Apple app for easy trade in and to not pay extra for option to trade in 12 months.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
For trade in to apply towards monthly payment you have to do the Apple installment plan. It’s different from the carrier option and also different than apples own upgrade plan.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
For trade in to apply towards monthly payment you have to do the Apple installment plan. It’s different from the carrier option and also different than apples own upgrade plan.
Thanks. Interesting to know. I need to consider how I want to handle it. I'm in the same boat as the OP. It sounds like my options are to:

1. Go through AT&T Next. My phone is paid for this month, so it may be better to sell it outright. Pros are I may get more money for my phone. Downside is the new AT&T Next program requires you to wait 15 months to trade in and charges an extra $5 a month to have the option.

2. Go through the Apple Installment plan. I'm getting an 11, so I'd only owe $349. If I wanted to get out early when the 12 a couple of months after launch, I could pay off the ~$175 to own the 11, then sell it for money to put down on a 12.

3. Go IUP now. But it doesn't sound like you can do the $400 trade and get IUP. Though I could just sell the X separately.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
For option 3 you can still trade in just won’t apply towards payments. You’ll get it on a credit card or debit card as a credit.

You wouldn’t want the trade in applied to the iup because you would have Paid off more than 50% of the device next year when you can trade in. So it’s a worse value for you.

Thanks. Interesting to know. I need to consider how I want to handle it. I'm in the same boat as the OP. It sounds like my options are to:

1. Go through AT&T Next. My phone is paid for this month, so it may be better to sell it outright. Pros are I may get more money for my phone. Downside is the new AT&T Next program requires you to wait 15 months to trade in and charges an extra $5 a month to have the option.

2. Go through the Apple Installment plan. I'm getting an 11, so I'd only owe $349. If I wanted to get out early when the 12 a couple of months after launch, I could pay off the ~$175 to own the 11, then sell it for money to put down on a 12.

3. Go IUP now. But it doesn't sound like you can do the $400 trade and get IUP. Though I could just sell the X separately.

Reactions: mantan