AT&T Next vs 2-yr contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appygirl82, Sep 11, 2015.

1. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Currently we have 5 lines and stagger our upgrades. Basically we usually upgrade every year when new device comes out.

Normally we sell our old devices and atleast break even with the phone (and buying new one). We can get the $199 or $299 back that we paid with the new 2-yr contract. We normally have sold them quite easily but it's still a pain.

I am debating the AT&T Next plan. Basically we could just "lease" the phone for the 12 mos and turn it in for a new one. We wouldn't need to worry about keeping it in pristine condition and the pain of selling them. However, I think it would be more expensive doing the Next??

I don't quite understand the pricing. I see lots of talk about discounts for mobile share etc. We have the grandfathered-in unlimited data plan. So do we get a discount of any sort??

2. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Do a search. There are at least 5 threads on this exact subject.

3. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Thank you for stating the obvious....if I was able to find the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

Most answers I find are directed towards the current pricing models. I have a plan with the unlimited data. I am not sure of the discounts with that plan. I am somewhat confused on the pricing.

4. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

AT&T will be happy to explain it to you.Seriously.

5. cousintim, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Which allows you to easily compare your costs vs. the current pricing.

Other than FAN discounts, there are no additional discounts on UDP.

I'm a huge proponent of keeping a UDP, but with five lines, you're paying quite a premium to do it. Mobile Share would be $175 for 25GB + $75 ($15 x 5 lines) = $250/month ($50/line).

6. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

You're forgetting about the $25+ next monthly payment charge for each line which puts the monthly price back over what the unlimited plan costs (assuming all 5 lines have devices that are still being paid for).

7. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

My bill is $188/month for the 5 lines. Base plan is $60. Data for the 2 smart phones is $30 each and the other 3 phones are $9.99 each. And then taxes/fees it comes to $188-190 a month usually.

Just figuring out how much the Next would be! I'm assuming more :/

8. cousintim, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Since only two phones using data, Mobile Share would be $100 for 15GB + $75 ($15 x 5 lines) = $175/month ($35/line). If you ever need data for any of the other lines, Mobile Share would be a better deal.