Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Stupid question maybe, but I can't seem to find the fine print on this.

If I buy an iPhone 6 with AT&T Next, and complete ALL the payments, am I correct that I do not need to trade it in at that point to start a new Next plan on a new phone? Seems obvious the answer should be no I do not, because I own that phone now, but with these companies who knows.

After I pay it off, I should be able to sell my 6 privately and start a new Next plan right?

Alternately considering just buying the phone upfront, which works out to the same overall cost, minus the option to upgrade early.

mb2008

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Yes, the phone is yours as soon you pay it off, and you can pay it off early.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Thank you - in my blur of research I have read conflicting stories.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You can pay it off early, but for whatever reason they require that two billing cycles pass before you can pay it off. That is what is "on paper".

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
If you buy upfront, you are not on contract and can upgrade whenever you want. If you pay the Next installments off early in full, you can upgrade whenever you want too. The only difference is paying an installment price each month with Next or no payment if you buy upfront. Are you on the mobile value share plan already?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
My personal experience with AT&T Next has been wonderful. Bought a M8 on next, paid it off after just four months and my total out of pocket price was $25 less than anyone else's full retail.

Bought four iPhone 6 Plus Models for myself and the family...total cash price same as my local Apple store. No interest, nothing complicated, no prepayment penalties (like some have in the fine print) just fast easy and convenient. :)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
I am in the unique position of being on NO plan. Currently rocking my Palm Pixi Plus with WebOS through Kitty Wireless :D

On paper buying it outright and doing Next are the exact same price, with the added benefit in Next of having the option of trading in early and rebooting the finance plan. Just making sure there are no 'gotchas' I am missing, like having to trade in my phone even after it is paid off.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Just making sure there are no 'gotchas' I am missing, like having to trade in my phone even after it is paid off.
Oops, my earlier post failed to mention that you can keep the phone.

But they take your house....ha...ha...ha... :)

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I bought my iPhone 6 when they were giving you $100 bill credit for signing up for at&t NEXT. Basically discounted the phone to $549 instead of msrp of $649, which is pretty nice. The only other reason to go with NEXT might be for the reason you don't have to take a $700 hit on your pocket all at once.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
You can pay it off early, but for whatever reason they require that two billing cycles pass before you can pay it off. That is what is "on paper".

This may have changed. When I purchased my iPhone 6 on the Next plan, I paid off the full amount as soon as the "contract" appeared on my account-- a mere day after activating my iPhone.

No other catches, OP. Once you pay off the balance, the phone is rightfully yours and you become "upgrade-eligible" again.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I may just keep the payments and get a new phone every 12 months. At 12 months you haven't paid for the phone yet and start on a new one. Not sure if that is financially the best way. But, don't care--:):apple:

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
AT&T next is much more profitable for you. With AT&T Next, you get $100 bill credit when you activate your iPhone 6. Then just pay off full amount and own it fully.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This may have changed. When I purchased my iPhone 6 on the Next plan, I paid off the full amount as soon as the "contract" appeared on my account-- a mere day after activating my iPhone.

No other catches, OP. Once you pay off the balance, the phone is rightfully yours and you become "upgrade-eligible" again.

It was always the official rules. I don't doubt they they let you just oay it off though. I was able to pay off the $130 we had left on a line for the trade in via chat (it's normally not supposed to be doable online).

I read through the next terms and that's what it says. Why they set that stipulation is beyond me, but it's in there.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I just realized that the $50 bill credit I got was for upgrades only. Right now if you add a new line of service with Next and port your number over from another carrier you get a $150 credit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 7.13.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 7.13.25 PM.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 7.12.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 7.12.29 PM.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It was always the official rules. I don't doubt they they let you just oay it off though. I was able to pay off the $130 we had left on a line for the trade in via chat (it's normally not supposed to be doable online).

I read through the next terms and that's what it says. Why they set that stipulation is beyond me, but it's in there.

Since AT&T wasn't selling full price when they first came out I bought with a Next upgrade and paid it off the day I got it, all online. Nothing to it.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Got a 6+ at launch day from AT&T next. 3 months later hated the size. Sold it for exactly what I owed on next. Paid off and immediately had another upgrade. Went to best buy. Got a 6. Used the $50 gift card promotion to pay taxes. Walked out of best buy with a new 6 that I only had to pay $2.50 out of pocket. Next is good.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Since AT&T wasn't selling full price when they first came out I bought with a Next upgrade and paid it off the day I got it, all online. Nothing to it.

You always could payoff online. I'm talking about the remainder if you have a next phone and you want to trade the ohone in. There isn't an option online. Or at least I didn't have one and the teo said that there wasn't supposed to be one.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Buying it outright means your phone is unlocked on day 1. Though, if you're not going to be traveling out of the country anytime soon, might as well spend AT&T's money on the phone and slowly pay it off until you decide you need to travel, and then, just pay off the balance and it'll get unlocked. Also, if you're too lazy to sell your phone, you can always sell your phone back to AT&T via the next trade in, not the greatest deal in the world, but it's something...and with next 12, if you're on the highest capacity phone, your resale value won't be that great to start with since most second hand buyers aren't willing to pay for premium capacities...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Buying it outright means your phone is unlocked on day 1. Though, if you're not going to be traveling out of the country anytime soon, might as well spend AT&T's money on the phone and slowly pay it off until you decide you need to travel, and then, just pay off the balance and it'll get unlocked. Also, if you're too lazy to sell your phone, you can always sell your phone back to AT&T via the next trade in, not the greatest deal in the world, but it's something...and with next 12, if you're on the highest capacity phone, your resale value won't be that great to start with since most second hand buyers aren't willing to pay for premium capacities...

We just traded "sold" a 5S back to AT&T. The difference between our buyout and resale was soemthing like $70 at the high end. Used to be way better, but there are iPhones everywhere. I think that is what makes Next so attractive to so many people.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You always could payoff online. I'm talking about the remainder if you have a next phone and you want to trade the ohone in. There isn't an option online. Or at least I didn't have one and the teo said that there wasn't supposed to be one.
I think this should be emphasized because a lot of people get confused about the 2 month rule. Paying off the device in full so you own the phone free and clear is an option starting from day 1.

Now, if you just want to pay the 12 months worth of amortization so you could do an early trade in, you'd have to wait for at least 2 billing cycles.

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold

I did the same thing. I went in on launch day and AT&T wouldn't sell me a phone outright so I went NEXT. Paid it off the following week online and got it unlocked after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.