Carrier AT&T No Contract purchase on i6 Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phr0ze, Jun 24, 2014.

1. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

So AT&T made these new plans which encourages not to buy subsidized phones. On launch day will I be able to pay $650 for the phone and activate it on my AT&T account?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The only way to get an accurate answer (once they have that answer)...

http://www.att.com/contactus/

3. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

We are hoping so. In the past years you could always buy out of contract through AT&T and Apple. I dont see why they would change this, especially with the new plans.

4. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I sure hope so, because that is what I'll be doing.

I was going to originally buy the iPhone 5S in May, but decided to hold off till the 6. (I have the 4)

Back then there was the option to buy it without a contract, but recently, when I went to check, there were only two options - AT&T Next and a 2-year contract. Not sure what's up with that.

I would expect it to be an option to buy it off contract, as it has been an option in the past.

The only way to make sure is to check through AT&T and wait until launch day.

-Juan

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm feeling confident that you'll see them on launch since carriers are pushing the non-subsidized devices.

I can't remember for past launches as I typically have a contract but I'm also hoping the carrier free contract free phones are available at launch.

6. 617aircav Suspended

Yes you will. Apple is guaranteed to sell them unlocked on launch day like last year.

7. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Whats the advantage of paying full price for a phone and not having a contract? I figure I need to use my phone anyway so who cares if its on a contract?

I always sell my phone or trade it in and the difference in price to upgrade has always been the same as being a new member ($199) or less.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

False.

They did not sell unlocked until 2 months after launch.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/22/apple-starts-selling-unlocked-sim-free-iphone-5s-in-the-u-s/

Don't get your hopes up for non-contract phones on launch day. Especially considering expected demand for 6.

----------

Not everyone is on a contract plan, or with a carrier who does contracts.
    Several of the plans that go along with the contracts are bloated up in price.

9. rritterson macrumors 6502

Kinda like leasing vs owning a car.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

There are off contract plans that are less expensive than traditional 2 year plans even when you factor in the device subsidy.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Really so how was I able to buy 2 tmobile unlocked phones from Apple.com on launch day last september?

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I see little advantage is seeking an unlocked phone as I have been with ATT for many years and have no desire to leave. In the event I or the person I give the phone to wants to sell, it is easy to get unlocked.

13. P A U L macrumors member

False.

I bought the 4s and 5s on launch day unlocked at normal price (850 for the 64gb) at my local Apple Store.

Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile models are factory unlocked automatically when you buy it off contract at any Apple Store.

Verizon is factory unlocked, even on contract.

14. 617aircav Suspended

I travel a lot so unlock is a must.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

False, I ordered a T-Mobile UNLOCKED Gold 5S on launch day last year.

16. 617aircav Suspended

Some buy unlocked because they do not intend to use the phone any of the big carriers. I will be getting the Verizon iPhone 6 as it gives me maximum flexibility. My 5s was unlocked from att but I'm using it on cricket saving me $45 a month from what I was paying att. Also, I can switch carriers as I choose.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I can see the interest in unlocked, it just does not matter to me.

18. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete