AT&T no contract?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by americaroma, Jan 6, 2011.

1. americaroma macrumors regular

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did a search and mixed answers came but mostly from 2008

Ive been using my Iphone 4 on Gophone for this past month, its not that bad but i really miss using the internet when im not near a wifi spot.

I was so used to Pandora when driving, or the YellowPages app to find phone numbers fast without dialing 411.

So my question is, if i go to an AT&T store, can i get a sim card with a normal plan (data included) but without having to commit a 2 year contract since i dont need a device (have my own iphone 4)?

Thats just the thing i dont like, being attached with att for 2 years for me is too much...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can.
    Tell them you want a month to month plan without beeing tied into a contract cause you already got a phone. You just need a sim from them.
    But make sure and verify 100% that you're not locked into a 2 year agreement cause they have been known on screwing people that bring their own phones and still get tied into contracts by slick reps.

3. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Yes, it can be done. You just have to be very careful to make sure they don't add a contract to your account after verbally agreeing not to.

4. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Applejuiced, that sounds great...

I just wish ATT workers know this because last month i walked in just wanting to buy an Gophone sim card, and ended buying a cheap phone with it because the worker wasnt aware that they could sell the sim alone...

So do i need to tell them i have an Iphone 4?

Will they give me a microsim or a regular size one? ( i dont mind the cutting)

5. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

How can i double check?

How can i find out if they put me under contract, does it say anywhere on the receipt?

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Couldn't you add a data plan to your pay as you go?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Yes it will so if you agreed to the terms they honestly probably chare you for the micro sim. Go to At&t tell them you need a micro sim for your I4 and you are month to month. If the guy is confused ask fir somebody else.

Also be sure you know your data & minutes & text terms before you leave

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You ended up with a misinformed rep or someone who wanted to lock you into a contract so they can get their cut.
    You can ask them for a microsim and you can tell them you got an i4. Add the appropriate data, minutes and text plan etc...
    Just make sure and verify with a manager before you leave and have it in writting that you are not under contract but on a month to month plan.
    Check out this thread for more info:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1068388&highlight=without+contract&page=2

9. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

What if he (or I) don't want a month to month plan? Like for me, I want unlimited txt only with pre paid minutes only. I've got wifi near me most of the time.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can buy a prepaid micro sim and load up the minutes and text you want with no data.

11. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

sweet jesus, no need to wait for an Unlock then. Unlimited txt'n is $20 on at&t whereas on t-mobile it's $15 but oh well, better having something than nothing. Anyone know if at&t does any deals on pre paid minutes? I know on t-mobile for buying so many minutes (as in spending so much $ amount) you get Gold status and get 10% bonus minutes.

12. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

If they get you on a contract, they will get you to sign the electronic signature pad at least a couple of times.

After you go home, register you account online and click "CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY". It should open up a PDF document which will show you a contract end date if theyd id get you on a contract. I'm not sure about what will show up on the CSS if you are not on a contract. You could also call 611 and ask them when your contract ends and if you aren't on a contract, they will tell you so. However, if you do find out that they locked you in, I'd rather find out within 3 days than after a month and I'd go back to the store and have them remove the contract or just cancel the line and be done with it.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.

14. Q-chan macrumors member

As a general warning: watch out for grandfathered items

Well, a bit off-topic, but fitting the thread theme...

In case you have grandfathered items on your AT&T plan, watch out to protect them when doing any changes to your account. If they are accidentally removed or overridden, it is very hard to impossible to get them back, even though you have a legitimate right to them. Unfortunately I must say Apple Store employees are particular known to make fatal mistakes in this respect.

15. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, youre right... If they do mess up i still have 30 days to cancel or go back and reverse what they did...