Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beej69

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
Puerto Rico
I refuse to cripple my APEX-n by setting it back to A/B compatible just so that my iPhone can connect to it. It would be great if the 3g data would also work over the femtocell. I really prefer to keep the wi-fi turned off on the iPhone for battery savings.

I currently use a wilson wireless booster that cost over $400 with amplifier/antennas and cable. It's great

you're logic is inconsistent. you're willing to pay $400 for a signal booster and would rather use a femtocell for data usage?! a $30 cheapo 802.11g AP is a much cheaper solution for data. also, wi-fi data uses much less of your precious battery life than HSPDA.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
I don't know if you guys have seen this, but it's kind of the opposite concept.

It converts a 3G connection to a WiFi hub.

Attachments

• Verizon_3G_WiFi.JPG
    Verizon_3G_WiFi.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 50

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I understand the concept as I was given one FREE by sprint years ago when I had poor service at home.

But why anyone would PAY for one to fix problems with a carriers poor network is beyond me. Choose a better carrier.

Perhaps they should take the route T-Mobile has where for $10/month you get unlimited hotspot calling. If you are anywhere with WiFi you make and receive VOIP calls seamlessly for no per minute cost.

Oh yeah, why do that when you can charge customers extra to make up for your crappy network AND still get them to use their minutes using bandwidth they are paying for. Brilliant.

Hope T-Mobile gets in on the iPhone next year and AT&T doesn't find a way to bribe Apple into continued exclusivity.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Why wouldnt I just go out and get an extender to own and fix this issue, instead of paying att a monthly fee:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=1829799&sku=H529-0002&srkey=h529-0002

The problem with these extenders is, you have to have a good signal outside the house. I live in an area that I can get 1 - 2 bars outside if I stand in the right spot. These extenders, unfortunately, don't work for me.

I am looking forward to getting one of these. I just hope I don't have to pay a monthly fee for the "privilege".

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
This is rather asinine.

Step 1: Cell phone provider doesn't give you coverage.

Step 2: Cell phone provider doesn't invest in better coverage.

Step 3: Users have to BUY a widget that gives them better coverage, using the users internet connection.

Step 4: Cell phoneprovider gets payed twice. User has to pay twice.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
you're logic is inconsistent. you're willing to pay $400 for a signal booster and would rather use a femtocell for data usage?! a $30 cheapo 802.11g AP is a much cheaper solution for data. also, wi-fi data uses much less of your precious battery life than HSPDA.

Sorry, I may not have been clear in my post. The $400 signal booster is not getting the job done for data OR voice. It's flakey at best. No fault of the fine people at Wilson as they are very clear about the fact that if your cell coverage is already marginal, you won't get much benefit out of the device.

I'm just trying to explain the point of view of the folks, like me, who are willing to pay a one-time fee for this device. I have absolutely no expectations that ATT come out to where I live and build a new tower. I live out in an area away from the population centers on purpose. Of course, I'd love to let them plonk a tower right in my backyard and get rental/consideration for it, but that's not going to happen. I'm more than willing to pay $250 for a device that will allow me to use my ATT phone indoors as it will provide a cost savings for me in the long run by letting me get rid of my voip phone.

Now, I agree, if they try to charge a usage fee or a monthly fee, we're going to have a fight on our hands. That would be absolutely ridiculous. However, I think they're going to be reasonable about the whole thing. I would imagine that the device will go for a one time fee and folks who spend a large amount per month (we have 3 voice/data and 3 voice phones on our account) may see a discount or even get the device for free. This seems to me to fit the way that ATT has handled things in the past.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I can see two options for this that wouldn't outrage people:

1) $99* for device, no monthly fee, still uses your minutes.
2) $99* for device, small monthly fee (less than $10), unlimited minutes when on femtocell.

*Would be nice if it were only $49 though. If it were $49 with $10/month, I would consider buying it as it would still be cheaper than getting a dedicated land line. However, my wife and I use our phones as primary lines and still don't go over our minutes each month (and we have 4800+ rollover minutes). But I could drop down from 1400 minutes (too many) to 700 minutes (not quite enough) and the femtocell and save some money if it were priced as I speculated above.

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2006
I feel like these things should be free or at least really discounted, right?

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
I feel like these things should be free or at least really discounted, right?

You would think they would have an interest in getting users these boosters in areas where their signal isn’t stellar because after-all the more places they can get signal the more subscribers they can possibly have.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
this approach will have a monthly fee but when the calls are made through the 3g-Microcell network will not be counted towards your monthly bill. This will be a huge benefit.

twilcoxen

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
Colorado, USA
Useful to ditch landline with mediocre indoor cell coverage

I'm eager for one of these as I'd love to finally ditch my landline. However, I get really spotty reception in my home. I've looked at the signal boosters, but am pretty uncertain I have enough signal outdoors for them to do much good.

Pricing seems to be pretty speculative, but it sounds like there'll be an unlimited minutes option and something else. Hopefully the something else will be no monthly fee. I could see paying $10 a month for unlimited minutes through the MicroCell as that would be pretty favorable to a landline.

There's a lot of info on what these are and features we might see over at Engadget.

ilko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2003
The Highest Point on Manhattan
So if I understand this correctly, femtocell only works as a booster. I have a vacation property up in the mountains where there is no cell phone reception. Femtocell won't help me there right?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
So if I understand this correctly, femtocell only works as a booster. I have a vacation property up in the mountains where there is no cell phone reception. Femtocell won't help me there right?

You understand incorrectly. :)

It routes your phone calls through your high speed Internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.