AT&T or Verizon better for bay area?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Mar 30, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Just wondering if people know the current situation and long term prognosis. I don't simply want to go by the maps the providers show on their websites, but also by personal experience of folks. Also, I'm getting confused about the more subtle differences between the two providers, such as HSPA+, etc. Is it true that AT&T basically has more coverage for HSPA+ and LTE combined than Verizon, so that I'm more likely to be in a complete dead zone with Verizon?

Thanks in advance for chiming in!

2. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is there a consensus outside the bay area which service is faster and more reliable? It seems here in the bay area the Verizon models are the only ones sold out at local retail stores, so I take it Verizon is better?

3. jpopfan macrumors newbie

Verizon LTE (San Jose)

Verizon LTE in San Jose near the airport. Fast enough for me. :D

Attached Files:

4. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i think verizon is better in the end tho's who still have unlimited data bought att plus verizon is more reliable .

5. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Both have new LTE networks with the same bandwidth. AT&T's LTE speeds have done well and should be more than fast enough for web browsing. In California, yes, AT&T's overall coverage is a bit better. Each state is different. The biggest difference will be that AT&T gives you 3GB of data to Verizon's 2GB. Both are tiny, but 50% more is still 50% more.

P.S. I live in an area that does NOT have LTE from either carrier but is supposed to get Verizon LTE this year. AT&T who knows when, if ever. I still chose the AT&T iPad. The UMTS HSPA+ network around here is reasonably fast (much faster than Verizon's current network), more than enough for web browsing. I'd rather be on it with a 3GB cap than on LTE with a 2GB cap. "Only 50%" is still substantial...