AT&T or Verizon Data Plans

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NoShoreGuy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

Now that Verizon is offering 1gig for $20 is it a better choice than AT&T's 250mb at $15? I know size wise it is, but how well does Verizon perform on the ipad compared to AT&T???

Thanks!!

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Since there aren't any ipad2's out in the wild, it's difficult to give a real comparison.

However, if you search for iphone4 VZW/ATT speed comparisons, those results ought to give some picture of what you might expect.

3. Davichi macrumors 6502

Not even a comparison for me. Stupid Verizon is still stuck on CDMA with this iPad.

Their LTE network is still too small in US.

I am going with AT&T iPad 3G. AT&T's 3G is so fast in my area compare to Verizon's EVDO network.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Based on iPhone4 performance, VZW is slower but available in more places. Personally I've never had an issue w/ ATT 3G except in SF where it was almost non-existant. If you will be traveling out of the country thought the ATT is the smart choice. Pick up a prepaid microsim where you are going and get cheapish, more secure Internet.

5. NoShoreGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think I'm going with AT&T, hear it's much faster data wise than Verizon... though I wish they would match verizons plan of 1gig for $20

Thanks!!

6. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

why would you want to pay $20 for 1 gig when for $25 you can get 2?:p

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

OTOH ATT offers 2GB for $25. It's easy to go over 1GB but you have to really try to go over 2GB, at least my experience.

8. NoShoreGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Actually going to try the 250mb first, plan on using wifi mostly, but want 3g in case of travels. If I find I need more would definitely go with 2gig for $25.

9. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

yeah I would tether my jailbroken 3GS and watch netflix on my computer on the train before iPad and Netflix app, streaming pandora for 4 hours a day, downloading apps over 10mb cause I could, tethering to torrent, downloading files to the phone, streaming video via Qik, I only went over 2GB once in over a year and that was only 2.1, but I did end up most of the time at 1.8 or 1.9 :D I miss unlimited data:(

10. mwjd299 macrumors regular

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I just confirmed with a sales rep that each time you want data service you have to pay a $35 activation fee as opposed to ATT where you just pay the data cost. So if you only want data occasionally VZW will be an extremely expensive option.

12. Saberj macrumors regular

Guess I'll just pay the $5 extra a month for AT&T and get the extra gig. What a stupid move by Verizon. They've really messed up what could have been a great opportunity for them with the iPad and iPhone. Oh well. Thank God for competition.