at&t or verizon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ercsliberty, May 18, 2011.

1. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

can peope that had both verison and at&t ipad2, specially in L.A , or anywhere else, say which one has better reception/download speed

2. LDTaylor85 macrumors member

I'm in LA county, antelope valley specifically and I always get full bars with my Verizon iPad.

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

I think you'll have a better representation of coverage if you ask your Family, Friends and Co-workers who live in your area.

4. ercsliberty thread starter macrumors 6502

:) all on sprint

5. SFO 1K macrumors newbie

AT&Ts throughput speeds are statistically better than Verizon's. It's a function of the technology being used.

As always, your location at any given time and the number of users competing for limited bandwidth will play a part.

But just comparing AT&T 3G HSPA vs Verizon EVDO, AT&T gets the nod.

6. seanpholman macrumors regular

I live in Orange County and have a Verizon iPad and an AT&T iPhone. My thinking was that anywhere I went, I would be covered with data (I travel a lot for work).

I have found that Verizon data is slower than AT&T and that places I travel in the desert has AT&T 3G on my iPhone and the slower Verizon service on The iPad. I hate seeing the ball in place of 3G, because it is way slower than even Edge.

Having Verizon has only been helpful a few times when I had slow data on my iPhone and if I had to do it again, I would go AT&T.

--Sean

7. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I basically do the same. I have an AT&T iPhone, but I carry a Verizon potable hotspot that I basically use with my iPad 2 and work laptop. However, I do connect it to my AT&T iPhone when I don't have AT&T 3G coverage. AT&T 3G has been faster than Verizon 3G, but I usually connect to 4G LTE in the L.A. Area.

As for the OP's question, since the iPad 2 only has a 3G option for AT&T and Verizon, I would say Verizon if you want better 3G coverage, or AT&T for faster 3G.

8. MACaframa macrumors newbie

MACaframa

Agreed. I have a 64gb on Verizon and always have coverage but speeds are slow!

9. gecis macrumors regular

Very simple. Att. With AT&T you're getting an unlocked gsm device. It can be used with any gsm 3G carrier in the world.

10. ercsliberty thread starter macrumors 6502

did you try streaming music while driving? any cut offs?

11. crobbins macrumors 6502

I bought the Verizon iPad because I have an AT&T iPhone. The AT&T speeds are certainly faster when both have 3G, but I find the vzw iPad has 3G way more often. I just took a trip from Indianapolis to Los Angeles by car and found I had 3G on the iPad almost the whole way. The iPhone on AT&T definitely lacked..

All that said, as others mentioned, it all depends on where you'll be. I found this to be the best solution for me, personally.

12. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Full bars doesn't necessarily translate to fast data speeds. I stupidly bought a verizon model as it was all I could find before a long vacation. Speed tests from my iPhone with ATT are always at least twice as fast, go with AtT

13. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Upstate NY here and AT&T hands down is the better performer, now VZW swears next year when LTE is in full swing they will dominate the market on speed and clarity, yep sure you will.

My ipad2 on AT&T has been wonderful, although I'm on a free 1st month and have to reply back to this later on in the year, you never know.

A good friend of mind is an Apple developer and use's the VZW mifi for his area and he's said he never has a problem at all.

VZW iPads are in ever store that sells them, try finding an AT&T:eek: