AT&T overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Offshore1, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

I am wondering if AT&T has problems; I've had MMS for about 2 weeks and has worked fine, this weekend it the MMS messages REALLY hang at 90%. The people I have sent to don't get them for 1 to 2 hours. HOWEVER, when they send me an MMS, I get it right away. Regular texts work just fine.

My reason for asking, when I had no problems, I was using 5.0 carrier. But Friday I synced w/ 5.5 carrier (I am running 3.01 on a 3GS) and starting Saturday when I sent MMS, the slowness started.

BTW, I am not a huge MMS sender. . . . . .

I am in Norfolk VA if it matters.

Your thoughts?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well

maybe that there are to many MMS threads here! oh and MMS works perfect for me. might call AT&T and ask them what's up!

3. fazm macrumors newbie

that will get you nowhere. ive been on the phone with 5 diff people, with 4 diff answers (1 disconnect) and 0 results other than credits to my bill

4. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I really doubt a CSR is going to be able to find where your messages were routed. That type of knowledge isn't going to be found by someone with AT&T support.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've not had one single problem.

However, I haven't tried to send 100 MMS's when it doesn't work the first time.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

AT&T's crappy 3G network is overwhelmed (as if it wasn't before). I hopped over to EDGE and had no problems sending and receiving MMS.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Some areas are more "saturated" than others and AT&T expected some issues. I haven't experienced any delays but I'm only sending a few pictures here and there. Also, you didn't mention if these messages stayed within the AT&T network. Most delays are caused by handoffs between networks. However, this weekend was an historic event and hopefully your issues will work themselves out.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, getting credits to your bill is just horrible customer support. I hate those pesky credits. :rolleyes:

The problem is that you expect them to know more than they do. If you call them from the standpoint that they don't know anything, it's hard to be disappointed by the info they end up providing.

The last couple of times that I had to deal with AT&T customer support, the service was fine. In fact, the last time I called was to add the $5 text plan to my account (I had a big texting month, and was in for a $10-12 text bill). The rep voluntarily decided to backdate the text plan one month to avoid the $10-12 charge, so I would only have to pay $5 for the past month.

You expect too much.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not sure what this means. I would call those results and in my book very successful results. You didn't mention your issue is so I'll assume it is delayed messages. Did you want AT&T to retroactively make the delayed messages deliver faster?

10. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Hey, good idea! But how is that done, is it the icon with the little bunny rabbit on it? :)

11. fazm macrumors newbie

my issue is NO mms at all working. still red exclamation

12. fazm macrumors newbie

expecting to get the service im paying for is expecting too much? wow my bad

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think that you read my post. Try reading it again.

My point (the one you skipped over) is that you shouldn't expect an $8/hour phone rep to have all (or even some of) the answers. Sometimes the best they can do is apologize and credit your account.

14. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

MMS is working great in New York City....... and that alone is saying something.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

16. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have sent around 40 so far, mostly work related.
    no major issues.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh, yeah.

Many news organizations have been reporting on it for the past 4 months. People around here have been complaining even longer than that.

You can stop wondering.

18. fazm macrumors newbie

i read it just fine. its their job to find me someone that can fix my problem. sending me up a tier level usually would work.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G.

I've found that in a lot of places the EDGE network just provides a much more reliable connection. Unless I'm trying to web surf or otherwise do something high-bandwidth, I usually leave 3G off. AT&T didn't know what they were getting themselves into with this phone.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, and then your MMS would magically work. Totally.

How much time did you waste on the phone with AT&T again?

21. fazm macrumors newbie

less time than you on this board im sure. 2 hours on the phone with ATT so far

22. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't waste time here. I create time.

lol Seems to be going well for you. :rolleyes:

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you want to see overwhelmed, please go to a football game with 92,000 people around you. When it was pouring down rain, I just wanted to view a radar map on TWC. Problem is everybody else around was trying to do the same thing. It was kind of ironic to keep seeing AT&T's "official provider" ads throughout the game. I don't know what the solution is at such crowded areas as more people use smartphones, but it would really be nice to be able to fully use my phone at a game.

On a side note, I don't know if SMS messages clog up the data network since they're sent differently. But if so, I know a really frickin' good way to cut down on data traffic in such settings.

24. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I've sent about 10 MMS messages and I have yet to have even one of them be received. It's only been about two and a half days, though:rolleyes:

25. mikey28 macrumors 6502

My MMS is working fine, but now I am dropping calls like crazy. It's ridiculous!!! I have never had this happen before, and I can only assume it's due to the MMS.