AT&T Partially Unlocked Iphone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Doctor No, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Doctor No macrumors newbie

Details - I am in the UK using a UK T-mobile sim.

Iphone 4
    Firmware 4.01 8A306
    Baseband 01.59.00
    Blobs Not Saved
    Uk T-mobile SIM

The phone has been jailbroken using jailbreakme and ultraSnow to unlock, however I cannot connect to the T-mobile 3g service for data.

At first I could not see the cellular data settings page - it was missing, so I installed Super Preferences and when I could edit that page there was no data. I then created a profile for T-mobile for the APN carrier settings from www.unlockit.co.nz

general.t-mobile.uk
    user
    pass

These now come up in the cellular data page but I still cannot connect to the data service.

Any ideas on what I should do?

2. ilugram macrumors member

T-Mobile uses a different frequency for 3G. You can only get Edge Data. (I'm assuming you are referring to the US T-Mobile)

Edit: nevermind, I see that you said UK

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

T-mobile 3g uses a different frequency then AT&T and the phone does not support it or are you just trying to use data period?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

@OP, Sorry you won't be able to get 3G service/Date on the US on T-Mobiles network, they use a different frequency that is not supported by they iPhone.

5. Doctor No thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify I am in the UK using a UK T-mobile SIM.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

So it is a UK phone then? Who is it locked to and why not get it factory unlocked?

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

So...:confused::confused: I'm confuse by your title... "AT&T Partially Unlocked"

Where does AT&T comes to play on all this?

8. Doctor No thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the phone in the USA it was locked to AT&T. I am now back in the UK. I jailbroke and unlocked and I can use my Tmobile sim to make calls but I cannot connect to the 3g data.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

got you!

Did you try "Reset Network Settings", It seen to me that you need to Right carrier file. With reset network setting the phone will grab it from the network.

10. Doctor No thread starter macrumors newbie

I have reset the network settings about 5 times without luck. I tried my friends O2 sim and the phone picked up the right settings in the cellular data page but did not connect to 3g data. Text snd phone calls work fine but Mms and 3g does not.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Something may have gotten funky since it doesn't work in the other network either, you may have to do a restore, make sure you keep your baseband using TinyUmbrella while restoring to 4.1 (since you don't have any other blobs saved). Them use Limera1n or greenpois0n to JB and run ultraSn0n to Unlock.

I am not sure how the "activation" will work since the phone will be lock to At&t after restore, you may need an At&T sim (couple of US dollars on ebay). Some people report that Limera1n "hacktiave" I cannot speak for that since I didn't use it.

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Not sure if it will help but have you tried to uninstall then reinstall ultrasn0w. Shouldn't matter but it's worth a try before a restore.

13. Doctor No thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I am confused about -can someone clarify.

At the moment I am on 4.01 / 1.59.00

1) Use TU to save my Blobs for BB 1.59.00
    2) Restore Iphone using Itunes (latest version?) which will upgrade me to 4.1 but will keep my BB at 1.59.00
    3) Activate the phone - now it will ask for a AT&T sim - now here is the crux.

a) If I use an AT&T sim it will simlock the phone.
    b) I believe using phonebook sim does not work anymore.
    c) If I put in my Tmobile sim will I still have access to the phone and be able to JB and then install Hacktivate - then re-activcate and then unlock?

Btw shouldn't I be Jailbreaking with jailbreakme and not greenpoison?

14. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

TU doesn't save any blobs for baseband, just for firmware. Except for very early 3G, you cannot downgrade the baseband.
    TU can upgrade your firmware to 4.1 while preserving your current baseband.
    The phoen doesn't care what sim you put into it. If it's a US phone, you will need to activate it after upgrade with AT&T sim, then jailbreak it and unlock it.
    If you update to 4.1, use GreenPois0n to jailbreak.

By the way, your phone is not partially unlocked, it's a software unlock.

I suggest you do a bunch of reading before doing any of this as you are confused over every part of this. There are many good threads here which will help you get up to speed.

15. Doctor No thread starter macrumors newbie

So the GP Hacktivate is pointless?

I save my BB using TU and then I restore to 4.1 and maintain 01.59.00 BB. I then use GP to JB and then Ultrasnow to unlock. However in the future if I need to restore again I still need to activate the phone with an AT&T sim.

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

ok let me try to clean some of the missinformation here:

1) Use TU to save my Blobs for BB 1.59.00

if you used TU, you saved the SHSHS blobs from your firmware not your baseband. So you should have Blobs for 4.1 saved

2) Restore Iphone using Itunes (latest version?) which will upgrade me to 4.1 but will keep my BB at 1.59.00

If you update with iTunes alone, it will update your baseband too, you need to upgrade with TU running. Start TSS server, and them update using itunes this process will update your firmware and save your current baseband.

3) Activate the phone - now it will ask for a AT&T sim - now here is the crux.
    a) If I use an AT&T sim it will simlock the phone.

As soon as you restore/upgrade the firmware your unlock will be gone, that mean that you cannot activate the phone with anything else but a AT&T SIM card ( SIM doesn't have to be active).

If you still have the SIM card the phone came with, you can use that, run Greenpois0n or Limera1n (Jailbreakeme.com doesn't work with 4.1), Jailbreak and them run Ultrasn0w to unlock, At that point you will be able to use your T-Mobile SIM.

Yes, everytime you restore the phone will come back to the Lock state to AT&T. You need a AT&T sim until some work around is release

17. Doctor No thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. You have been a real help.