Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I just thought I would add a couple of points. I notice that if I just leave the hotsot on all the time it doesn't appear to have any effect of my iPhone battery. So far the iPad is logging into normal WiFi spots at home and work and Starbucks etc... if they are available and then logging into the hotspot if those aren't available. It seems to be working pretty seamlessly so far. I don't have to think about turning it on. Of course, it's still early days, but so far I'm diggin' it.

I completely understand as well those who want to jailbreak and use MyWi. My experience with jail breaking has not been good however. I always seen to end up with an unstable flaky device and I end up going back.

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just have trouble with the idea of paying two data plans when one of your plans is unlimited.

This.

This is why i tether and i didnt get a 3G ipad. VZW requires a data plan on the smartphones anyway, so why have two data plans? Yuck.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I also switched from a 3G iPad to a Wi-Fi iPad plus iPhone hotspot. It's worked great so far. Just had a power outage in my building and was using the iPad over hotspot. Worked a lot faster than I imagined.

dskillzhtown

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
I also switched from a 3G iPad to a Wi-Fi iPad plus iPhone hotspot. It's worked great so far. Just had a power outage in my building and was using the iPad over hotspot. Worked a lot faster than I imagined.

I am thinking of making the switch myself. I have a wifi Ipad2 and a iphone 4 with the unlimited plan The most I have used in any month is 2.2GB. So I was thinking of paying the $15 more a month for 4GB and tethering.

Speed was the only thing holding me back. Is the speed as fast as wifi at home for instance?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I am thinking of making the switch myself. I have a wifi Ipad2 and a iphone 4 with the unlimited plan The most I have used in any month is 2.2GB. So I was thinking of paying the $15 more a month for 4GB and tethering.

Speed was the only thing holding me back. Is the speed as fast as wifi at home for instance?

If you are grandfathered into the AT&T unlimited plan, you can't add tethering and keep the unlimited plan. Tethering on AT&T is a plan feature switch, so once you switch to the tethering plan, you can't ever go back to unlimited.

If you do switch, you can go to the 2GB AT&T regular plan for $25/month.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.