At&t phones for texting besides iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nima, Oct 9, 2008.

?

Which phone should you think will be better for me?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2008.
  1. Motoroal Q

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Blackjack 2

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. HTC Tilt

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Palm Centro

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. nima macrumors member

nima

hey i want to do a poll since it seems fun but right now im having a conflict with my mom about the iphone plan and its getting really expensive for both me and her so im deciding on abandoning its awesomeness and going for something less great just until some other phone comes out thats much cheaper.

are there any good phones that are good for texting, have good battery and good camera? also do any phones have conversational text? hit me up with your ideas so far i have

moto q
    blackjack2
    att tilt
    palm centro

2. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

I was looking for a phone like this too before i got my 3G.
    Anyways, i was going to get the AT&T Tilt, but i was told you have to have a $30 per month data plan.
    I dont know if thats the case still, if it is you'd be better off keeping the iPhone.
    It seems AT&T has not good texting phones.

3. nima thread starter macrumors member

nima

your right but so far i havent been told to wake for any upcoming ones that will be great. but are you sure theres a 30$ montly? i think its optional

4. DigMe macrumors 6502

No you don't. My friend has the Tilt with no data plan. My wife has the Tilt but with the data plan. It's great for texting plus it has wifi so you can still surf without a data plan. Nice phone, IMO.

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

The tilt is obviously pretty bulky in comparison to the iPhone, but I owned it predecessor, the 8525, back in the day. I think it does well with texting.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's optional but then your data usage becomes pay per use. So you have to make absolutely sure that you're not using any data at all, or you get dinged 1 cent per kilobyte of usage. that doesn't sound like much, but that translates to 1MB of data costing you $10.24, and it's not uncommon for smartphones to eat up 10MB or more of data per month.

So, no e-mail, no web browsing, no loading up Map data for GPS usage... you know, all the stuff that you normally would use a Smartphone for?

I've heard that AT&T will cap per-per-use data charges at $99, but let's see... $99 versus $30... :D

Also, none of the above phones you've listed have WiFi, so you can't get around the data issue that way.

that said, the BlackJack was what I had before I switched to the iPhone, and it was okay for what it did, and decent for texting. Personally if there wasn't an iPhone in existence I'd probably end up using a Blackberry, but that's not a choice you have there. So I'd go with the BlackJack II.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I haven't used any of the phones you listed, I like the Motorola Q.

8. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Palm.

You asked specifically for "conversational" texting (I call it threaded SMS)... The BlackJack and MotoQ definitely do not have this feature and it's miserable.

Since it's WinMo, I would imagine that the Tilt does not either (though I haven't ever played with one).

All of the phones you listed are Smartphones though and will be at most $10/mo cheaper than the iPhone.

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Not to be negative but why is this on an iPhone forum?

10. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

used/owned them all.

iphone all day. go big or go home!

11. nima thread starter macrumors member

nima

because i want to see if anyones had the same problem with me and what they got.

12. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

in windows mobile 6.1 theres threaded texts

do some research

13. nima thread starter macrumors member

nima

thanks for the info. i might just get either the tilt or blackjack 2. the fate depends on you!

14. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

well i have the blackjack 2 right now and i will be getting an iphone as soon as my mom pays me back money..

i will probably be switching back and fourth between the two

but the blackjack 2 is a verrrrrry nice phone and i would highly recommend it

the tilt does have a bigger keyboard but i do not like the feel of it compared to the blackjack

either way enjoy your purchase : )

15. nima thread starter macrumors member

nima

So it comes down to two decisions. Either a tilt or a blackjack 2 can someone justify which one would be better?