AT&T Plan and Activation Details: Updated Information

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mciarlo, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Source: http://www.mciarlo.com/2008/06/iphone-3g-att-voice-data-plans/

So, there's all this talk about being upgrade eligible, and I thought this would be helpful in giving people more definitive answers. I won't copy and paste the whole article, but here is a summary from the top.

Summary of Key Points

* You may buy the iPhone 3G for $199/$299 (subsidized) as a new subscriber or as a first generation iPhone customer. You may be eligible for subsidy pricing if you are in good standing as a current subscriber.
    * Current AT&T customers not eligible for upgrade pricing will be made eligible at the launch of the iPhone 3G (this makes sense because subscribers who skipped the last iPhone, or those who purchased plans last year would otherwise need to wait, eliminating a large sector of potential buyers; the phone has only been available for 12 months, less than the length of the average contract.) This is my own personal guess, but good standing and good credit might apply.
    * If you receive the iPhone at the subsidized price and cancel your plan within 30 days, you get your money back, but must return the phone. If you cancel your plan after 30 days, you get to keep the phone, but must pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF).
    * You may use your iPhone on another plan once canceled after 30 days, but the full features of the phone might be unavailable.

Plans might be more affordable than previously thought. I know this information if floating around, but the answers received from this candid AT&T representative seemed to cut through the misconception.

2. Clyde099 macrumors regular

If I'm roughly 11 months into my 2 year contract, by getting an iPhone at a new contract price, would that extend my contract to roughly 3 years?

3. mciarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

mciarlo

You would have a new 2-year contract. It doesn't add to your current.

4. saxamoophone macrumors regular

Hope that's true!

Seems to match what we heard over here:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=240&tag=btxcsim

Still too many conflicting reports for comfort though. at&t and apple really need to put out something official. The fact that the $199/299 price-tag on apple's website isn't highlighted except in one place makes we worried.

5. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

No, you and the rep were miscommunicating. All the rep was doing was reading the info we have all seen.

The section that states "(customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch)." Is ONLY refering to 2G customers, as they are not currently eligible for an upgrade.

This does not mean someone who got a razr or freebie phone a few months ago will be made eligible. Only people who purchased 2G iPhones.

Same info we have been getting for the past week.

Personally, I believe that ATT will drop the requirement right before launch. This is to discourage people to sign up for ATT, get freebie or reduced cost phones and resell them on ebay when the new iPhone comes out.

6. paduck macrumors 6502

it is my understanding that AT&T is now going to allow FAN discounts on the iPhone since there is no revenue sharing with Apple. If you do the math, this is how you might end up:

Voice phone service - $40
    data service - $30
    SMS messages - $5
    Total - $75
    FAN discount (20%) - $15
    cost of service before taxes - $60

Current iPhone plan is $40 voice + $20 data = $60. So, if you have a good FAN discount, you are basically talking the same price.

Of course, not everyone has an employer discount.

7. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you need to keep reading, it then says, customers not qualified because of tenure will be eligible at launch, it does no say iPhone customers.

When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure

that part covers anyone with an iphone

(customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch).

that part covers everyone else. customers that would not otherwise be eligible refers to people who don't fall under the catagory of new customer or current iPhone owner

8. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Take that with a grain of salt. Everything is subject to change...

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

absolutely agree, that's why i said in another thread, until there is printed information in the form of official ATT terms of service, brochures, etc. it is all just speculation, and another thing to keep in mind, all the "official" info people have been getting from ATT has been from the CSRs, those are the grunts of the company, the ones furthest removed from the decision making/policy making process. so what they are telling you can be old info, or even completely inaccurate info. and as i'm sure most can attest to through calling customer service, these people aren't exactly the best and brightest, most of the time they are more confused than you are.

10. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Well I dunno if i agree with the CSRs being grunts, (cause what are RSCs then? lol) but your right on saying that it might be old information. Like on the intranet site where that memo is posted, it has a date where it has been updated... and ever since Tuesday its been updated every day...