AT&T Plan Info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Resist, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

So we are about to get two iPhones and move from Verizon to AT&T but I have questions. I have never been much of a texting person, mainly due to how difficult it is on my Motorola Razr phone. But I started thinking that I may start doing it more often with an iPhone.

We want to start out with the 200 message $5 plan but since you get charged for every text received as well, I am afraid we will unknowingly go over the limit. Is there a way to keep track of text sent and received? Is there a way block incoming text messages? Would we be better off with the $30 unlimited text plan instead? With the family plan I assume the $30 is for our two phones and not $30 each phone.

Another thing, if we change our text plan later on, doesn't that mean we lose roll over minutes because of the plan change?

We just want the least expensive plan for two iPhones. AT&T will give us a work discount of 20% off on the primary phone plan. I rarely use my cell phone now, but my better half is always on her phone. I will probably use the data portion of the iPhone a lot. So I really don't need a lot of voice minutes but she does.

Oh one more thing, apparently call ID blocking is not included with AT&T, it was included with Verizon.

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

biteSMS (requires jailbreaking) counts the number of msgs sent. Doubling the number gives a rough estimate of the total.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks but we have no plans on jailbreaking the phones.

4. dr pimper macrumors newbie

you can dial *DATA# and you will get a message saying how many texts are remaining. Or at att.com you can log in and see minutes and texts remaining. I have the 200 text plan and hardly go over... usually by like 10 messages. I added that to my plan and did NOT lose my rollover so that shouldnt be an issue. Depending on how much the two of you will be texting the 30 dollar plan might be better... you can always start with the 200 plan then change after a month or two when you see how much you are actually texting. you could always give you local att store a call good luck

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

You can log on to your http://att.com account to keep track of your texts, I do that but now I have unlimited.

There is now way to block an incoming text.

Yes you'd be better off getting the $30 text plan, as far as I know, with AT&T there is either a pay per message or unlimited plan for family plans.

Um, I don't think there's a loss of minutes for upgrading your plan, only for downgrading, I could be totally incorrect.

Don't know about caller ID blocking. I think you can pay something per month for a certain amount of numbers...

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

wireless.att.com

Make an account and then you can check under data under the specific phone number.

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

My wife and I just switched to the unlimited text plan.
    We had the 200, but it is real easy to lose track and go over.
    The good news is, AT&T only charged a $0.5 per message when we went over.

8. bstpierre macrumors 6502

If you each get the 200 text plan that is $10 a month. With the unlimited it is $30 a month. We have the unlimited (we have to kids to help ring up the text balance) and use it more than we would with the 200 plan. I am not sure we are using the 200 minutes between us two bit we don't worry about it. It is nice that we can use it freely without thinking about it. I would probably use it more if I had service at my desk at work.

9. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree that the unlimited text plan is a better way to go but then this means our bill each month for two iPhones would be $159.99 before the taxes. I am having a hard time with that amount each month. Plus we have to buy the 16GB iPhones at $299 each!

Personally I think the text service should be included in the $30 a month Data plan price.

10. seand1111 macrumors regular

You can do all the controls you want via

Smart Limits for Wireless™

This is a feature ATT offers that allows you to "control" the phones. You can access it when you set up your account (or anytime afterwards) via www.Wireless.att.com

You can ignore the "Child" references in the text, it can be used for any phone. I had to set some boundaries for my nanny at one time to prevent her calling Mexico via those damn party lines.....

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I've got a solution that will give you unlimited text messages for free. In fact, you can even block all SMS messages and you'll be all set, provided you have a data plan.

Simply use the e-mail->SMS gateways that all US carriers provide. You send an e-mail to the appropriate address, and it's dispatched to the recipient's phone as an SMS message. If they reply, it arrives as an e-mail on your phone. With push e-mail, conversations are every bit as rapid as SMS messages are. The only difference is that you're not paying for SMS messages.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

That is incorrect. Every line must have its own texting plan. I suggest you go with the $5 plan to start and if you find yourself accruing $20 worth of overages, then consider moving up to unlimited (or the $15 for 1500 plan). Most likely, if you do go over it will only be by a few dollars.

13. seand1111 macrumors regular

Why must every line have its own text? ATT has me on a family text unlimited, I have 2 iPhones and an BB curve on the family plan. We all share unlimited text...:confused:

14. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you kidding me!!!? So if we want unlimited texting for 2 iPhones on the family plan then we have to pay an additional $30 each ($60 for two phones)? This is freaking madness!!!!!

15. kzoojason76 macrumors member

You can get the unlimited family texting plan for $30. That's what I have on my wife's and my iphones.

16. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If that's the case then I must've gotten bad info from the CSR at the AT&T store (or perhaps I misunderstood him). I know you have to have a unique plan for every line for all the other texting plans.

17. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I started with the 200 texts at $5 and then I switched to the 1500 at $15.00 during the first month when I realized that I went about 300 over the 200.:D The nice thing about at&t is that you can switch plans immediately. So keep track. Now the bad thing is that I've found text messages can be a day or two behind when you check.

18. kzoojason76 macrumors member

19. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You mean 5 cents not 50 cents.

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The $30 will be sufficient, not $60. I don't know why he told you that :confused: As long as you're on a Family Plan, get the Unlimited Family Text Messaging for $30 and that will be shared on all the lines within the Family Plan.

21. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Whew....okay so for $30 a month I would have unlimited text for TWO iPhones. Now say I only want the 200 text plan within the Family plan for these same two iPhones.....is it $5 a month for each phone or $5 for both phones?

22. dave006 macrumors 68020

Just to be clear you only get to share the $30 Text feature when you have a FamilyTalk plan. Yes, if you want to start with the $5 for 200 Txt packages, it would be $5 for each phone.

Dave

23. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030