AT&T Plans - Sometime soon would be nice!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wakerider017, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

So are they going to release the details of the AT&T wireless plans before or after the actual hardware is released...

Sure, we have a rough idea of what the prices will be with AT&T's press release... But what about the details? I actually want to know what I will be paying per month... Call me crazy!

Seriously, what is going on here? Is AT&T hiding something?

When the last iPhone was introduced the wireless plans were revealed at the same time...

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You can't buy one for two weeks, so what's the rush?

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It seems very strange to me that they wouldn't have this information ready. All I can think of is that either AT&T just isn't ready (how can that be???), or that they are gauging response to the higher data plan costs, and deciding how to address the 200 txt messages in the old plan.

My wife says I am an eternal optimist, but I am HOPING that they are going to "surprise us" with 200 messages. :)

4. Givn2Fly13 macrumors newbie

I find it difficult to believe that text are not included. That would force all gen 1 iphone users to keep the old phone and plan.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

oh yes, the generosity of at&t is world renown.

it's pretty much clear cut that there will be no texts included... but i'll join you in that eternal optimism.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Seriously, chillax...

If you recall, with the last iPhone, the rates and certain features weren't even RELEASED until that MONDAY before the launch.

Take your time, and relax, but i know for a fact that we won't see any details for at least another week.

7. Asar macrumors regular

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Good call.

9. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Just assume they are going to use the same rates, plans, and features as any other PDA/smartphone - with the exception of visual voicemail.

That way, if its say $10 cheaper (which it won't be, its going to be the same price as every other phone) you just get a bonus.

10. nakile macrumors regular

I remember AT&T saying a few weeks ago that they're still deciding if they should include text messages with the data plan like they did with the first iPhone, or make them an extra $5 added on to the $30 data plan.

If they did, it would make the iPhone only $40 dollars more than the original, as opposed to $160.

11. circusbass macrumors regular

Nothing is clear cut except that the data plan costs $30. There has been no word on whether texts will be included or not.

12. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Its because they are secretly working with Apple on an MMS app for the App Store and are working out the details for an SMS/MMS plan!!

.....and then I woke up

13. tritonj macrumors 6502a

what is so hard to believe, that is how every other plan is for ATT, this is not the exception to the rule, it is the norm

14. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

I'm going to call it, mainly because nobody else is and I'm a recent convert to optimism. iPhone 3g data plan: $20 with 200 texts.

We'll all see by 7/7, I bet. Wouldn't that just blow your mind? That would make the iPhone totally unbeatable IMO and would cause all the other cell phone companies in the U.S. to drop their data plan prices as well. I remember not too long ago that one company offered a $99 unlimited minutes plan, and all the other companies followed suit within a week or two. The prices on data plans are due to come down soon, especially with the economy not being so great. AT&T is still a big evil company though, so we will see.

15. wako macrumors 65816

i honestly dont get it... how hard is it to understand, the basic rate family plan +30 bucks a month per line for data+ 5 bucks a month for 200 messages?

why are you all assuming there will be other plans? There was never anything special about the last data plan for the iPhone, it simply added the basic individual or family plans + 20 a month to it to give you a new price....

Sooo... why do you honestly need a webpage for them to do the simple arithmetic for you?

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I do wonder if perhaps there is a little negotiation going on between Apple and AT&T that might jack down those data plans for all of AT&T's smartphone plans. If you ask me, $30 is a little steep for what most of us use. They don't have any sort of entry-level pricing, akin to what dial-up would be for landline Internet users. I have used a total of 225MB of data on the EDGE network in about 2.5 months.

I totally get it that AT&T needs to cover costs and such, but 1) they're not some start-up, and 2) Assuming everybody has the same need for usage is a wee crazy. If they offered the same $20/month plan but had some sort of data limit, I might upgrade. Until then, I'm sticking with ol' EDGE here.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Actually there was something special before since the previous iPhone plan was cheaper than all other smartphone plans and included texts.

18. wako macrumors 65816

actually no...

smartphones that are offered by AT&T are more expensive because all of them have 3G capability. the 20 a month that iPhone users now are paying is actually an OLD data plan AT&T use to have for old smartphones that ran edge (anyone remember the HTC Wizard/ATT 8125/Tmobile MDA?), with the exception they added visual voicemail.

You can actually add a data plan for your phone for EDGE only called MEdia MAX for 15 a month, and then pay 5 bucks a month for text message currently actually.

So there was nothing ever "special" about the old iPhone data plan.... well other than the exception for visual voicemail....

19. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I am still hoping for a price break....$20 come on!

20. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

You know that's what I was thinking, they dont want to show the mms plans yet cause they dont want to spoil the surprize.....cause there has to be a application in the app store that will allow mms

Could you imagine if att showed there new rate plans with data and mms packages 2 weeks ago,we would be going crazy

21. mrtune macrumors 6502a

That is incorrect. Blackberry's are all edge, and all cost att's standard pda data fee of $30.

The iphone customer got a deal the first time around by getting the mediamax $20 plan w/ 200 texts. The mediamax plan is for the standard phones on att's lineup that have basic internet capability.

The iphone simply no longer gets the data plan deal, that is all. It is now getting standard pda pricing.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OLD data plan for NEW device. Yeah, that's special. Semantics aside, it'll probably cost $30 for the new one without text, so it's all moot.

23. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I agree ALL current iPhone users would never opt for the 3G iphone if it doesnt come with 200 text messages.

;);););)

24. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Sucks that I won't even be in the country from July 6-13 =/ I'm going to miss all the 3G action.

Hopefully more details come out before I leave, can't wait to start downloading applications.

25. aforty macrumors 65816

I called AT&T the other day and even there seems to be confusion about what the plan includes. The rep I was talking to said he would expect the $30 data plan to include at least some SMS since the last one did but did say if it didn't I could set SMS restrictions on the account, i.e. not being able to receive/send sms. I'll get the restriction done if no SMS are included, I can get by with just data and various 3rd party apps that will be released that would replace that for me.