AT&T, port my number AFTER purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric8199, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Hoping you guys can help me out. This summer I'll be getting my first iPhone. I currently am under contract with Alltel, but that ends in June. My problem is that AT&T does not have as good of coverage as Alltel/Verizon in my area. I think it will be acceptable, but I won't be sure until I get it.

So the question: I would like to port my Alltel number, but I don't want to cancel my Alltel contract until I know the iPhone will work for me. So, can I get the iPhone on AT&T with a new number, and then a week or so later port over my current Alltel number? Do they allow that, or do you have to do it at the time of purchase?

Thanks

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes you can activate an iPhone with AT&T and have a new number phone number. You can try out the coverage and you can choose to port your phone number at a later date.

Dave

3. ViPa macrumors 6502a

you have 30 days from when you start the contract to port the number for free..after that, there is a charge..but your good for the first 30 days

4. Almy macrumors 6502

I haven't done it, but I asked AT&T customer service about porting a number on two separate occasions. Both times I was told they wouldn't do the port until after the old phone was disconnected. So sounds like the way they do it fits your needs.

5. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perfect, thanks guys. I'm glad this forum is so helpful. Every question I have is answered very well.