AT&T - porting your number after the fact...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Jul 23, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

A question for those familiar with AT&T and the options for porting.

I will be getting my iPhone 4 soon (or eventually). I want to try it out, and I don't want to ditch my old Virgin Mobile phone just yet (lame phone, but cheap and reliable service). So I don't want to port my number over immediately.

With AT&T, can you port your number after the fact. Like, say I'm using my iPhone 4 with it's new number for 2-3 weeks and I decide I'm happy with the service/phone and will be keeping it, can I then have AT&T port my Virgin number to my iPhone, essentially changing my number?

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I'm sure it can be done. It'll take a fair amount of time and they may make you sign a new contract from the date of the port. But it should be very doable.

3. krypt0n1te83 macrumors newbie

I'm in a very similar situation as you and the answer is yes you can port your number any time you want. I asked both the online representative and an in-store guy. The in-store guy initially said only within 30 days, then he asked a manager to be sure and the manager told me I can port it anytime. Just beware that when you port, you are ending the contract on the other side.

4. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I know about the other side thing. Fortunately my "other side" is Virgin Mobile prepaid. So there is no contract. Nothing to worry about there.

5. Chetoc230 macrumors member

first 30 days no charge to port

after 30 days they charge you a fee

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

7. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I'm planning to port my number from Verizon, with whom my contract ends July 31. If I get my iPhone before then and get it ported, essentially ending my contract, will I get charged the ETF or just have to pay for the full month? (Sorry to threadjack!)

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

your contact ends july 31, if you port before then you get charged the ETF but remember your ETF drops every month so it wouldn't be the total amount.

9. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Ok, thanks! Also, is it possible for the Apple store to give me a new number with a different area code than the one in which I purchase the phone?

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

wait...so you want to port over your old number, then change your number?

11. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

It's kind of complicated lol. I just moved to WI, but I'm visiting my parents in FL for a few weeks. I'd like to get a WI number fairly soon, but I'm waiting for me SO to get his iPhone so we can go on a family plan together. If I could just get a WI number while I'm here, that would be great, but if not I would just port my FL number and switch it when I get back.

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

That's totally feasible. after you get to WI just go into att and tell them you want a local number. not a big deal.

13. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

No problem. I already got my answer to my original question. It's good to have a thread to explore the options we have in porting after our phones are already activated and running.

I actually might end up just keeping the new number. Sometimes it's nice to start fresh and not give your number to certain people. I'm sure you've all been there.