Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
there will be discounts for 24 month commitments (kick backs per month just like the last time), believe me. It's not called a "subsidy" anymore, but they have to keep people upgrading and committing.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I agree, they want to lock people in with either next/jump installment programs or monthly phone bill kick back subsidies.

there will be discounts for 24 month commitments (kick backs per month just like the last time), believe me. It's not called a "subsidy" anymore, but they have to keep people upgrading and committing.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I don't know about Verizon or T-Mobile but the situation I described was the case for AT&T for several years. I think AT&T eventually required data be kept for 24 months, too, but I think by then they were heavily promoting the new shared data plans.
I have had all the carriers so know all the polices and requirements. It's simply about profits. It's business after all.

The end game for carriers is revenue per line.

Verizon definitely saw an uptick in lines 5-10 decreasing their revenue per line with the $20 device add on after the base $100 unlimited plans. They someone with 6 lines/$220 actually would be cheaper than T-Mobile 6 lines! And Verizon doesn't want to be super competitive with T-Mobile at the expensive of losing profits. Now it's 6 lines $300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.