Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
A bit stupid in my opinion that it renews automatically as Im sure there will be more than a handful of people who forget to cancel it and will get charged automatically.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
A bit stupid in my opinion that it renews automatically as Im sure there will be more than a handful of people who forget to cancel it and will get charged automatically.

Stupid but not unexpected.

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007

Damm what do you want? You have a calendar built into the product with alarms.....

Why are you getting an iPad in the first place, I know you play games only.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010

I want it to renew automatically as I do not expect to cancel ever. But perhaps an option as to whether to renew automatically would satisfy more people.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
cancelling the service should be the users choice and responsibility. where else can you get unlimited 3g service with out a 2 year commitment?

its a good deal all around and if you need to cancel, it should be your job to remember to cancel it.

i see nothing stupid about ATTs 3G Ipad plan.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
That's not stupid of AT&T...that's smart! They count on users forgetting to turn it off even if they aren't using it for the month. An extra month fee here and there x how every many hundreds of thousands of users = free revenue for no services.

This is their same policy as it relates to international roaming as well. You can turn it on and off as you want but it auto-renews by default.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
cancelling the service should be the users choice and responsibility. where else can you get unlimited 3g service with out a 2 year commitment?

its a good deal all around and if you need to cancel, it should be your job to remember to cancel it.

i see nothing stupid about ATTs 3G Ipad plan.

Yep. $30 a month for unlimited data on a device like that? Good deal.

Imsuperjp

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/emerging_devices/iPad_fact_sheet.pdf

Still no official word as to if they will charge you the $14.99 + $29.99 if you upgrade mid-use or if you'll just have to pay the incremental difference. (looks like you will have to pay the full $29.99)

it sounds like you can pay the difference to upgrade.

If you choose the 250MB plan, you’ll receive onscreen messages as you get close to your monthly data limit so you can decide whether to turn off 3G or upgrade to the unlimited plan. source: http://www.apple.com/ipad/3g/

Upgrade to me sounds like you can pay the different but maybe I am reading it wrong.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
it sounds like you can pay the difference to upgrade.

If you choose the 250MB plan, you’ll receive onscreen messages as you get close to your monthly data limit so you can decide whether to turn off 3G or upgrade to the unlimited plan. source: http://www.apple.com/ipad/3g/

Upgrade to me sounds like you can pay the different but maybe I am reading it wrong.

It may be the lawyer in me reading too much into this, but it sounds like, based on the definition of a "month," that if you "upgrade," you will have to pay the full amount, but it will be good for the next thirty days. So, you wouldn't pay $14.99, and then get close to 250 megs and then pay the difference. You would probably have to pay the $14.99 or the $29.99 but it would restart the counter to day 1, so you would get 30 more days for that price, rather than the remainder of the "month." Again, I may be reading too much into this, but that's my take.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
We discussed this in another thread, but the final consensus was that you cannot pay the difference.

Instead, you would pay the $29.99 for an unlimited 30 days and the 30-day counter would start from the moment your 250MB plan runs out...not before.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I think you are right...

The way I see it...say you buy the $14.99 on May 1st and then run out of data usage on May 10th. You can now pay $14.00 again and you will have 250MB to use from May 10th - June 10th or you can pay $29.00 for unlimited data between May 10th - June 10th.

I don't see it as if you use up the $14.99 plan in 10 days...then you can pay another $15.00 to upgrade to the unlimited plan for the remaining 20 days. It won't work like that.

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
If you cancel your plan before your 30 days are up, I wonder if you can still use your plan until either you have used your 250mb or your 30 days have expired (depending on which plan you chose.)

That way forgetting to cancel is not an issue.

My guess is that the data service shuts off immediately, that way they hope they can charge you for another plan if you need it again.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
That's not stupid of AT&T...that's smart! They count on users forgetting to turn it off even if they aren't using it for the month. An extra month fee here and there x how every many hundreds of thousands of users = free revenue for no services.

This is their same policy as it relates to international roaming as well. You can turn it on and off as you want but it auto-renews by default.

Well yea...smart for AT&T...stupid for the consumer. Of course that is exactly what they hope for...that maybe you will only use it a little bit, forget to turn it off, and then pay them for another month of service but not actually use it.

I don't see myself canceling it, I am viewing as a monthly bill but it would still be nice to have the option to auto cancel or auto renew.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
DavidR's post kinda confused me. Why would you cancel before you've run out of time or data? If you want to cancel in advance for the next month of service I am sure they've figured out a way to program their system so that it knows to let you still use up what you've paid for...at least I would think they've considered that. If they couldn't think of it on their own I'm sure someone at Apple suggested it to them.

What about TAXES?!!!

Should we believe the services is tax-free? I'll be it isn't. :(

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
^ That kinda confused me, but why would you cancel before you've run out of time or data?

To avoid another automatic payment after 30 days. If you can cancel your plan and still have access to what you paid for, then the easiest thing to do would be to sign up, and then cancel a minute later.

But I get the feeling that AT&T won't let us do that.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Okay, I buy the 250MB plan.

I notice I've used 220MB and realize I'll need to make a decision

I upgrade

At this point, I've gotten almost all of the value of the 250MB plan regardless of any other factors. There is no special reason for AT&T to give me a discount for the 250MB plan that I've already used up

This isn't a big deal. Get the 250MB plan if you think it may be enough, and upgrade if you find it's not.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
It is PRE-PAID, so if David turns off the plan in the middle of the month, I'm pretty sure he will get what he's already paid for. I think what you are effectively canceling is not the data itself but the auto-renew. So, if you turn it off in the middle of using it, you should be able to continue with the remainder of the 30 days. That is how most pre-paid plans that I am familiar with work anyway.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Does anyone know if you can apply a corporate discount to the iPad 3G plans?

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Regardless of the semantics of "plan" (it's a pre-paid "plan"), my question still stands.

You're not getting it. A FAN discount applies to a contract. There is no contract since it's pay as you go. You can't apply a FAN discount to a Pay as You Go phone. This is a Pay as You Go data plan.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I read the $14.99 plan as being 250MB or 30 days, which ever comes first. So, if you upgrade to the Unlimited plan when you reach the 250MB limit, then you have obligated your agreement, hence the reason why AT&T can charge you another $14.99 for 250MB or 30 days which ever comes first.

I plan on starting the 250MB plan, but based on last month and the fact that I am travelling a bit more, I will be moving to the Unlimited rather quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.