AT&T Premier Update: Ordering through Apple (setting the record straight)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h4a5r, Jun 21, 2010.

1. h4a5r macrumors member

h4a5r

Okay so since before the 15th, people have been speculating about whether or not Premier customers can order through Apple.

The speculation has continued even into today as people are panicking about whether or not their statuses are updated along with everyone else's and whatever - I get it. I personally couldn't give a crap when my phone gets here as I'm just excited to be getting one at all (poor college student)

Anywhooo... My mother just recently signed my family up for a Premier account through her in-home business. I tell you this because I want you to know how panicked I was up until pre-order day, reading the posts on here, hoping that the people saying Premier customers could order through Apple were correct, and that the people saying they couldn't were just idiots. It is time to set the record straight...

If you are able to check your eligibility through Apple, you can order through them. I know a lot of Premier customers were saying you couldn't order and most were saying "Dur, it's no problem, you idiot! I just did it two minutes ago. You suck at life!" Kind of unfair, if you ask me...

See, the thing is... each Premier account and each FAN have a different set of authorizations on it. The question remains - will Apple have access to your upgrade eligibility to know which price to sell you the phone at? I know a lot of Premier customers are panicking about not getting their iPhone 4's on launch day and how they'd like to just go wait in line at Apple - more power to ya! But, there is pretty much only one way to know whether or not you will be successful in ordering through Apple...

If you get this error message when beginning the ordering process (typing in your phone number, last four of SS, and zip code):

[​IMG]

then you cannot order through Apple (at the special upgrade price) and you must order through AT&T.

Simply go to Apple.com and begin the normal ordering process to see if you are eligible for an upgrade. If you are put through to placing your order (after the initial screen of phone number, last four of SS, and zip code), don't worry about going to Apple store on launch day because you should be fine - Apple has access to your account. If you're like me and get the error message, then you have to order through AT&T as Apple has no authorization to access your account and will not be able to provide you with the upgrade price. This is not to say that you cannot order through them - you very well can! It's just that they will be forced to sell it to you at the no-commitment price since they cannot determine your upgrade eligibility.

This information has been confirmed by two AT&T reps as well as an Apple Corporate customer service rep and my local AT&T and Apple in-store managers. DO NOT call AT&T and just ask "Will I be able to order at the Apple store?" Because they have NO clue. The representatives I spoke to at AT&T were the Premier Support Supervisors - I made sure they knew what they were talking about. I know this information to be factually correct. I did the research because I needed to know for myself whether or not I could order through Apple.

So... let's stop with the insults and multiple threads asking questions of whether or not you can order through Apple. There's the information - now do with it what you will.

2. alte0071 macrumors newbie

Thank you! Finally, someone who seems to know something! Jeez... took long enough!

3. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

As a clarification - this only applies if you are trying to upgrade an EXISTING phone that is still under a 2-year contract (but upgrade eligible), correct?

My wife uses my old iPhone which has my FAN discount applied, however I am picking up a new iPhone on Thursday which I will be using and once everything is setup I will switch it to a Family Plan and bring the phone she is using under my plan.

I am just confused as to what might happen since "her" phone is setup under my name and SS#, however it is long outside the 2 year contract window and can be canceled at any time.

4. h4a5r thread starter macrumors member

h4a5r

I'm not completely certain. But yes, I am assuming that this only applies to upgrading existing phones. If your normal ordering process would involve going through the phone number, last four of SS, and zip code process, then this is the check for you. I'm not sure about your individual situation. I'd recommend calling AT&T Premier Support and make sure to ask to speak with the supervisor right away (don't mess around with the initial customer service reps - no gripe on them at all - AT&T just doesn't seem to keep them as informed as upper-level customer service reps).

5. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

So - I am in the camp of those with a FAN that can't be accessed by Apple. I've always had to got through AT&T. However, at the moment (as of 6/21), AT&T isn't taking orders for any delivery date, let alone Thursday.

I have a reserved IP4 at the local Apple store. I guess my option at this point is to pay full price for it (even though my Premier site shows I'm upgrade eligible) and activate it at the AT&T store or online? Is there any hope of getting a refund of the excess purchase price from AT&T later?

6. lidomkj macrumors regular

Thanks! I agree. I have a FAN account and checked this and I should be OK at the Apple store with my reservation. With so many people speculating, this was an easy check.

Last year, I had no problem with the 3gs, but you never know! Good info!!

7. h4a5r thread starter macrumors member

h4a5r

I had one hell of a time ordering through Premier due to the system failures on the 15th. I was lucky and got a call back from AT&T's customer service on the 16th and was able to place my order then, with them. Since we're in the crappy boat of not being able to go into Apple - you're probably going to have to go out of your way to get your phone for the upgrade price through Apple on launch day. I am certain there is a way - as there most often is - but it's best to prepare beforehand. Call (or go in, if you can) to your local Apple store and just see if they can check right then and there if you're eligible. Their systems in store may be able to detect your account (my local Apple store was not able to gain access to my account). If you're in the same boat as me, ask them if there's anything they can do for you (collaborate with your local AT&T store the day of, speak with AT&T's customer support, anything at all) and see what they say. Since AT&T isn't taking orders anymore, this is probably your best route for getting an iPhone on launch day.

Good luck!

8. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I just did the upgrade check on Appl and no issues, so I should be good to go!

9. h4a5r thread starter macrumors member

h4a5r

Now that I think about it... this also applies to anyone adding a line onto an existing AT&T account. If Apple needs to access your account in anyway (add a line, upgrade an existing line) then this is the best way to check if you will encounter any problems.

10. Built macrumors 68020

The main problem (aside from ATT's quirkiness) is that there are people on this forum who want to believe what they want to believe.

I posted numerous times that I have a FAN account, and am thus ATT Premier.

I was able to place my order on 6/15 through Apple.com, which verified my eligibility, obviously, through ATT. My i4 sailed through the authorization process and I was amongst the first to get my order changed to Prepared for Shipment and then I was in the first batch to be shipped.

There is a poster elsewhere who, despite my posting my shipping email, doesn't believe that I, as a FAN account holder (Premier) was able to do this.

I guess when things get stuck in people's minds, logic and sense do not prevail.

The bottom line is that there are many of us on here in the aame position as me. Not all FAN accounts have the same authorizations, despite what some people assert on here.

Pretty much done with this board because I am done talking to the wall. :rolleyes:

11. h4a5r thread starter macrumors member

h4a5r

Agreed. That's the reason I wanted to post this information. I am getting tired of repeating myself and not feeling heard. Every FAN/Premier Account is different - and people need to realize that. Just because person A could go through Apple and person B couldn't doesn't meant that person A is a lying jackass. It just means their accounts are different. People create such drama over these things. Hopefully more people can read this and figure it out - for good! :)

12. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Premier, couldnt order through Apple. Cant get into my online account. Possibly screwed.

13. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i wanted to go through att/premier anyways because i currently have a 750 text for 7.50 a month, and i didn't see how i could keep this if i went through apple.

14. jman240 macrumors 6502a

So if we get this far, we're ok to go to Apple?

Also, can someone post a Screen capture of what happens if you don't get to this stage?

thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

15. h4a5r thread starter macrumors member

h4a5r

If you couldn't order through Apple - then, yeah - you're screwed. :( Call AT&T and see what they can do for you. Or if you're like one of the previous posters and you have a reservation at Apple, go into the store, talking with the manager and see if they can do anything for you. Good luck!

16. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

you are ordering a new phone not a new plan.
    going to any retailer doesnt change your plan at all. It simply extends your current contract

17. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im not even risking that. Im going straight to ATT Wednesday night. I hope all goes well...

18. h4a5r thread starter macrumors member

h4a5r

Correct, you are fine to go to Apple. Congrats! :)

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

the phone doesnt matter. Her account has the discount apaplied. you can change the IMEI number all day long and the discount still applies.

I just did this with my account, discounts are still intact, My wife has my old 3G (soon 3Gs), son has a 3Gs and I will have the 4.

if the iphone is not associated with a contract you can delete, move, use or do anything with the phone and it wont change your contract. You just have to keep that account open. the rules may change if the account was originally an iphone and you go to a not data plan phone.

20. h4a5r thread starter macrumors member

h4a5r

Okay in case anyone is curious... here's a sequence of screen shots of someone who will not be able to go through Apple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *Obviously, I actually filled in my information and then clicked "Check Eligibility"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After clicking "Continue" it brings you to back to the original order screen *see below*

[​IMG]

21. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Yep. That's me. So my reserved IP4 at the Apple store on Thursday is going to cost me full price (which I will pay) because there's a) no way to get my upgrade pricing via Apple and b) no telling when AT&T will ever start accepting Premier orders again.

EDIT: Stopped by the Apple store today just for grins and spoke to someone that really seemed to know their stuff. He confirmed that my FAN is of the type not accessible by Apple so therefore my reservation for Thursday can not be used to pick up a phone for my Premier line. I'll just have to use one of my Family Plan lines for that phone on Thursday (one of which is upgrade eligible) and then mosey over to the AT&T store later (after the madness) to swap devices.

I wonder if Premier will start taking orders again anytime this month?