AT&T Preorder Handled Horribly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chantman, Jun 16, 2009.

1. chantman macrumors newbie

I sincerely hope this is the final nail in AT&T's coffin. How many times is AT&T going to screw up before Apple wakes up and realizes exclusivity with them isn't worth it.

I preordered Saturday evening. Whenever I check my order status online, it says the order isn't recognized by the system. So, I called today, and a customer service representative said that my number port was waiting on manual intervention. I said "oh, so Verizon is holding things up?" To which he replied, "no, it's on our end, we have to manually intervene with the port". I explained my displeasure that it wasn't an automatic process, and that someone has let the ball drop on this. He said that my number was to be ported at 6:43 this evening. He also said to call back later in the evening to make sure the port was successful and my phone was shipped.

I called back later this evening, and the customer service lady told me that my port went through, but my phone would not ship until Friday morning. I explained that preorders are supposed to ARRIVE on Friday and not ship on Friday, and that other people ordering from AT&T are already receiving tracking numbers. She said that the phone is not due out until Friday, and that's why they cannot ship it until Friday morning.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to wait until Monday to receive it. Screw AT&T. I should have ordered from Apple directly.

2. EmptyWallet macrumors regular

This is EXACTLY what I've been told by another lady (really nice) at ATT. That the phones will ship PRIORITY at 5am Friday morning.

3. The510Kid macrumors member

Let me start by saying that I am no fan of ATT right now with the never ending "in progress" my order has been in but i doubt any service provider could handle a single phone being sold in such quantity in such a small amount of time without issues. Just my 2¢.

With that being said, i understand your frustration.

4. Zengrok macrumors newbie

Why didn't you just order the phone and port your number after you received it?

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

How would that have expedited the number port?

6. chantman thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know you could do that...

It may not have expedited that, but it would have at least got the phone here on Friday instead of Monday.

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I would just chill out. Is your ego so big that not having the phone before any of your other friends really a deal breaker ?

It sucks that you are not going to get it Friday, but you will end up getting it. :apple:

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Didn't AT&T run out of pre-orders on Saturday...so isn't that why it's shipping on Friday instead of before Friday?

Or did they run out on Sunday?

9. chantman thread starter macrumors newbie

I've waited for 2 years to be able to get an iPhone. It's not about my friends having it before me... It's about getting it on the day it comes out. Not the following week.

10. Memesj macrumors newbie

They ran out on Saturday, looks like the OP missed the cut-off.

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

Most sane people place and order and wait for it. If it shows up on time, they're happy. At least give them until Thursday night before freaking out. They said phone on the 19th, so lets see what happens. If it shows up on the 19th, I don't see how this was handled horribly. I'm as excited and emotional as most, but honestly there are some petulant children around here.

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I wholeheartedly agree with you, however I must pipe in.

If AT&T & Apple would not have announced people would have the device in their hands on Friday (not around, or about, or within 3 days of Friday) then they are justified.

However, they made a commitment to deliver. In my business, if you can't (or there is a slim possibility you can't) then keep your mouth shut, and go for the "worst case" promise.

I know it must be a logistical nightmare, however they should start under promising and over delivering.

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

LOL.

So when you say it was handled poorly, you meant by you.

I get it now.

14. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Ok...well at least you guys don't have backordered iPhones. Everybody that bought from ATT Premier has gotten no updates and everybody has backorders regardless of day they bought it. At least you guys got straight answers, I cant get any from ATT Premier.

15. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I have been in the wireless industry for 20 years and the carriers are absolutely ruthless to their vendors for on time delivery and will leverage huge penalties on them for failing to meet the sometime absurd requirements they create. I find it sad that AT&T can't hold themselves to the same standard. I ordered on the morning of the 9th. I better get my phone on time when I could have simply pre-ordered at Apple or even Best Buy for a reserved pick up. I gave AT&T the benefit of the doubt (I know, stupid) and ordered to have my phone delivered to my home. I have a feeling that AT&T, Apple, and the logistics companies are going to drop the ball all over the place in the next few days.

16. Zengrok macrumors newbie

So far all we have is a bunch of people complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet.

Apple will have plenty of phones on Friday. I bet anyone that walks in their store will get a phone. How is that under delivering? Sure, anyone that messed up their pre-order might have to wait a day or two, but even that is remedied by picking one up instead and canceling the pre-order.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's what I'm doing for my wife (who's coming from T-Mobile).

She's already got an AT&T number but still has her working T-mobile phone. AFTER she gets her iPhone we'll port the T-Mobile number over.

When I got my iPhone last year it took 4 days to get the number ported. I didn't want anything holding up the receiving of this iPhone so we'll be porting AFTER we get it, thank you very much!

18. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Agreed, but you missed my point.

This has nothing to do with him dragging tail over to Apple because AT&T could not get his shipment right. For all you or I know he is 1500 miles from an  store. He is simply expecting his AT&T purchased iPhone to arrive on Friday.

Just saying when/if it happens, the promise should have been an estimate, nothing more.

And who know's the OP and many AT&T customers may indeed get their phones, but I would not put my $ on it. I have them, and they have been mis-billing me for 4+ months now... but that's another story.

19. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Amazing how everything is always AT&T's fault. Nobody ever screws things up themselves. I love how those who waited until the very end of the preorder complain they won't get something. If you want it that bad then get your @ss in line and wait with the rest of the people that do, otherwise shut your face and sit back and wait.

20. EmptyWallet macrumors regular

Hmmmm, is preordering on the 11th "late"?

21. PezRadar macrumors regular

Chantman -

Read this and then find the article on the front page of Macrumors from Saturday morning. You ordered just a tad late so you wouldnt have gotten it on Friday anyways. Solution would have been to order from the Apple store but oh well. Sorry to hear but this isnt AT&Ts fault

22. chantman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to those of you who provided constructive criticism, instead of being complete a**hole jerks like a few others.

The drama with AT&T goes on. And this is why I'm pi**ed... I just called to check the status of the order. It said that my order had been put on hold because my number port had not been approved. I thought "WTF, they said last night that the number port was fine". So, I let the automated system transfer me to a customer service rep. She said "oh, yes the number port was successful, but we need to manually push this through". WTF?!?!? Do I really have to babysit AT&T throughout this whole process? Why so much "manual" processing? I feel like I'm mail ordering something out of the back of a magazine from back in the 80's (i.e. your order will take 2-4 weeks, blah blah blah).

So, she said the order was pushed through, and that I should be receiving a shipment notification in 24 hours. We'll see what happens.

Again... Screw AT&T.

Thank you.