AT&T Prepaid Data Package & iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mst90, Oct 3, 2010.

1. mst90 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use the AT&T Prepaid Package (100MB @ 20$) with a locked AT&T iPhone 4?
    AT&T say it's not for the iPhone but a lot of people say there is a way to use it with the iPhone by changing the APN (with unlockit.co.nz), does that work with a locked iPhone?
    Thanks for every replys..

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If it's an iPhone 4 with ATT, haven't you signed a contract? Would it really be worthwhile to pay the termination fee to use a prepaid card from ATT?

And isn't the base data package $15 for 200mb? Doesn't seem like the card is particularly worth it.

Or am I missing something?

3. mst90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the iPhone without contract and use it with a AT&T Prepaid Sim and it works really well, but i have no internet and there is a Data Package with 100MB for 20$.

if I would get the iPad Card with 200MB for 15$ i couldn't text&call, right?

I cant get a contract because i'm only here in the US for one year ;-)

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh I see. ATT won't let you use the regular iPhone $15 data plan? You've already paid for the phone so I think you could convince them to give you the $15/200MB rate for other iPhone customers. It would save you the hassle of buying cards.

I don't think so. The iPad doesn't use a "card" per se as I understand it; you merely activate the 3G data for the month(s) you intend to use it.

5. mst90 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mesn exactly?
    I dont't think I can use a iPad Sim with the 200mb/15$ plan in the iPhone or if I use this plan, I can't text and call.

And there is no other prepaid plan with 200mb, only the one with 100mb for 20$. And my question now is, can I use this plan with the iPhone, some people say it works, but AT&T say it doesn't work.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There is a new prepaid plan with 200MB that started last week.

7. Docrjm macrumors regular

AT&T don't give rats are about non contract customers. I have a contract free iPhone 4 and an iPad. Live in Canada, but on occasion travel to the US. AT&T have no method of allowing me to buy data for the iPad, as I would need to have a credit card with aUS billing address. As for a pay as you go option for my iPhone. It was a case of take a long walk off a short plank.

Seems that they are unable to recognize revenue streams when they are staring you in them face.

8. mst90 thread starter macrumors newbie

So there are 200MB for 15$ and 2GB for 25$, right?
    But when i go to the GoPhone (prepaid) Mall, there is only a package with 1MB for about 5$ and the one with 100MB for 20$.
    And the other question is ,can i use these oackages with the iPhone?

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

For prepaid, there is only 1MB for $4.99 and 100MB for $19.99.

There is an unlimited minutes and text package with 200MB data for about $70 a month. This is the only way to get 200MB on prepaid. There is no 200MB or 2GB add on for prepaid.

10. mst90 thread starter macrumors newbie

100MB should be enough, because of the bad GPRS Network (USA Extended Area), but does the iPhone work with that package?

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It will work once you go to http://unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone and install the AT&T profile and reboot the phone.

12. mst90 thread starter macrumors newbie

sound's good :)
    the only problem now is the network, 1-3/5 Signal & only GPRS, had to think if that make sense.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Well it's still faster then edge speeds. The problem is that AT&T throttles it's prepaid 3G data speeds. I used to use prepaid on my iPhone 3G and would get about 300-400Kbps. Edge speeds are about 30-40Kbps.

14. mst90 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thats really fast, i think the GPRS network here is really slow, not sure if i want to pay 20$ for GPRS oO

15. ibarnett macrumors regular

ibarnett

Here is the latest on their website, I was unable to find the $75 option online & was unable to get through by phone:mad:

Attached Files: