AT&T prepaid doesn't work inside 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inukami, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Inukami macrumors 6502

I went to the AT&T in hopes of getting phone access since i'm out of contract and have no service. I asked for a prepaid sim card and they asked me 2G or 3G iPhone and i said 3G. They told me prepaid AT&T sim dont work with the 3G iPhone. They said they tested it with another customer... does anyone find this hard to believe? It's carrier locked okay but i don't understand why it shouldn't work when its still the same carrier. I even called ATT and got a rep who told me it would work before i bought the iPhone.

Oh well not a big deal since i have a few more options:
    *using my hardware unlocked sim card to get it working
    *try my luck with T-mobile using hardware unlock
    *use cheapest phone plan from ATT =/

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Engadget and other sites have gotten it to work.

TEG

3. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

just by inserting an ATT prepaid or using software/hardware unlock with it? Also was this the 2G iPhone or 3G and was it factory unlocked to begin with. I'm going to ring ATT tomorrow and check with them =x

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Engadget/TUAW tests were with a brand-new iPhone fresh from an at&t Store. They switched SIMs and both phones worked fine.

TEG

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Out of curiosity, where did you get an AT&T-locked iPhone 3G whose contract has already lapsed?

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You can purchase the iPhone 3G if you already had a contract with AT&T and it ended. You just pay the unsubsidized price.