AT&T prepaid iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wjlafrance, Jul 25, 2010.

1. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Hey guys. Since I'm not exactly financially stable (I can afford $200 down for the phone, don't worry) and don't want to commit to two years, especially with AT&T, I'm thinking about buying some guys iPhone 3G/3GS off of Craigslist and just getting a prepaid SIM from AT&T. Instead of rambling off idle speculation, I'll simply ask - what options do I have?

EDIT -
    I meant to say AT&T prepaid iPhone.

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If you're on pre-paid you don't need a data plan. Just get a $20 go phone and stick that sim into the iPhone. My wife is on the $60 unlimited plan with no data, but you can just look at the pre paid plans. Just be sure to activate the account with the go phone you buy first before swapping the sims.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you go the GoPhone route, make sure that you do not use the sim that comes with the GoPhone to activate the GoPhone account. Chances are that the sim will be locked to that GoPhone for about six months and you will not be able to use it with the iPhone until after six months.

You would need to activate a sim card first by going to the GoPhone site and then entering in the numbers from the sim and the IMEI from the GoPhone. DO NOT enter the sim from the iPhone as it will tell you that you need to use another phone.

Data will not work on the GoPhone even if you had a a GoPhone data plan since the iPhone blocks non official iPhone sims from using data. You would have to upload a custom APN to the phone to enable data.

5. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

What would I end up paying for data if I use a custom APN? The GoPhone's $20 / 100MB, or am I somehow screwing AT&T royally for free data? Somehow I fear the former.

I Googled this after post (I'm slapping myself on the wrist, don't worry) and someone mentioned going to an AT&T store and requesting a SIM card with "customer pre-owned equipment" and it's as easy as that. Is this the route I want?

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The above is what you would pay. You could stack up three of those 100MB plans each month but that is expensive, $60 for only 300MB. Unused data carried over to the next month as long as you buy a new data package in advance for the next month.

7. tjwaggoner macrumors regular

Why ?

Why not get the 15 dollar iphone data plan? If you already are buying a used phone, you dont have to sign a 2 year agreement. That is just if Att is subsidizing the cost of your hardware. Seems to me youre making this a lot more difficult than it needs to be. You wont be able to get away with using an iphone (data use) without paying for data and that 15 dollar plan is about the cheapest way your going to get it. You own the phone or will shortly, so no agreement to sign. Is your credit worthy of a cell phone? Dont answer that publicly, just trying to figure out why your going this round-about way.

8. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

My credit is worthy. I had an iPhone briefly (two days) but took it back. </3 signal.

So basically I can go into an AT&T store, iPhone in hand, and say "I want to use this phone. Give me a SIM card and send me a bill", and they'll bill me what I'd normally be billed if I picked up an iPhone 4, except I can cancel any time I want?