AT&T Pricing and Quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gnortenjones, Jun 4, 2008.

1. gnortenjones macrumors regular

I'm toying with the idea of ditching my landline, and getting an iphone when they come out next week (my first cell phone other than a crappy pay as you go virgin mobile). I'm a little concerned about two things, and was hoping some current iphone users could enlighten me.

1) I would probably get the cheapest individual plan at $59 (assuming the price stays the same). What would the final price be? What kind of extra fees/taxes does At&t add on? I'm located in New York state if that helps?

2) I checked the AT&T coverage maps, and my location only gets "moderate" coverage. I'm a bit concerned about buying this thing, only to find out that I get really crappy call quality. Does anyone else here live in a "moderate" coverage area, and what has your experience been in terms of signal quality?

Thanks.

2. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

In terms of the signal quality you have a 14 day return period so if you aren't happy with it, return it.

I would figure on adding at least $10-15 a month for taxes and fees.

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I have the 500 min plan and it's about $65 after taxes and everything. I don't have a land line and generally have had excellent service. Occasionally I can't get a signal in certain buildings or when way outside the city, but for the most part, it is waaaay better than my previous service (Alltel).

I'm in Raleigh, NC, so your's could be totally different, but just providing for reference.

4. knelto macrumors regular

For #1, I have the lowest individual plan and assuming you don't go over anything it's right at $70 ($69.8- something I think).

For #2, I don't know what is or isn't a moderate area in my area, but I don't really have any problems when outside. The worst areas for reception for me are houses/buildings, especially newer ones because they use some insulation or something around the roof that essentially blocks cell signals. If you're currently getting decent reception on your house then I think you'd be fine.

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I live in NY, and can't comment on total cost because my iPhone is part of our 5-phone family plan, but as others have stated, figure on an extra $10-$15 a month in taxes, ect. Gotta love NY, right? ;)

I can say that just about the entire state is on the moderate/good border, with much of it on the very good side. I've yet to have an issue with mine. As a matter of fact, we canned our home phone in favor of a metered line. It runs us like $6 a month or so. We can get calls in, but if we make outgoing ones, we get charged. No biggie, we never even use it anymore, it was just easier to do it this way rather than change everything over to our cell numbers only, and this way we do have a land-line in case of an emergency, ect.