AT&T Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfpackfan, Aug 31, 2008.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

As part of my getting an iPhone 3G, I'm giving my daughter my old iPhone. I have gotten a new SIM from AT&T and will be setting her up on iTunes this afternoon. I have a question though - she will be wanting to have her old Sprint phone number moved to the iPhone. Does she have to do this when she initially signs up with AT&T thru iTunes or can she wait and do it later on? The thing is she would like to use the iPhone for a week or so before transporting her Sprint number, just to make sure she has good AT&T coverage at her apartment and at the school she teaches at. If she has poor coverage, she wants to be able to cancel the AT&T account and stay with Sprint. Thanks for any replies.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

She will have to port her number over to AT&T in order to activate the phone because it will initiate a new 2yr contract. If she were to start off with a different phone number you will start a 2yr contract under that number, at that point you would need pay for a cancellation fee and reactivate the iPhone with her transferred number. SO, no you should just activate the iPhone with her Sprint number.

Have her ask a friend who has AT&T how their coverage is?

Sorry I can't help in any other way.

3. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

This is incorrect. She can activate the iPhone on a new number with AT&T, try it out and port the Sprint number over later. People do this all of the time. To prevent issues it is best to speak with an AT&T rep in a corporate AT&T store to help you out with the process.

I did this just 2 weeks ago for someone on my account (wasn't an iPhone but that is irrelevant). I got the new phone and ported their number from a different carrier over a week later.

4. blackalti macrumors newbie

This is very much possible. My boyfriend and I just did the same thing. We both had Verizon and love the service, but wanted the iPhone. We found out about the 30 day trial policy and got new numbers when we signed up. Within a week we had decided on keeping the iPhones but still left the Verizon account open just incase.

It's been 30 days and we both officially ported over our verizon numbers effortlessly by calling the AT&T porting number... 1(888) 898-7685. It was free of charge so no worries. Hope it works out!

5. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for all the replies. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear.