AT&T Raising exit fees on smartphones, Timing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by accinfo, May 21, 2010.

1. accinfo macrumors member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704852004575258511180204610.html?ru=yahoo&mod=yahoo_hs

Anyone believe this has nothing to do with a new Iphone coming out in June? LOL. Also actions do speak louder then words. It shows me they are prepping for the possibility of losing current subscribers to another carrier. These fees would help mitigate some of those losses. They hope everyone upgrades their 3GS in June to the new 4G, extending their contract for another 2 years with this higher termination fee in place if sometime in a year the Iphone opens up to another carrier.

I have upgraded each version of my iphone but this will most likely make me wait and see if there is any truth to a Verizon phone coming some time in the nearer future.

For people happy with their ATT service I guess it won't matter but for me it does.

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This is interesting since there were a lot of AT&T fans around here ripping on Verizon when they raised their ETF fee on smartphones. I suppose it is okay now because it's AT&T and not Verizon.

3. OneEyedSpaniel macrumors newbie

OneEyedSpaniel

question

Well it sounds like does not apply to existing contracts, just contracts started after June 1st so hopefully it will not be a problem for you. I would like to throw a question out there for people who have upgraded their iPhones in the past. Does AT&T allow an early upgrade when the newest version of the iPhone is released or do you have the pay “full price” for the phone?

4. accinfo thread starter macrumors member

Yes they allowed me each year to pay the lower price and extended my contract an additional 2 years. That is why now I say I am not going to rush out and upgrade and play a wait in see approach to see what happens in the fall.

5. jbro1999 macrumors regular

No it's not OK. It's stupid. This is why I didn't sign a 2 year contract with Verizon again.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Very interesting. This has me thinking twice about upgrading and renewing my contract.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why? They’re just doing what VZW is doing, and it seems it only will apply to new contracts (based on what a poster stated above).

Anyway, am I happy they raised it? Not really. Does it matter to me? No, since I wasn’t planning to go to Verizon anyway, since my service is fine. This would mostly matter to those who want the iPhone and have crappy AT&T service. If I had bad service, I’d go to VZW and get the Android (but I wouldn’t come on this site and tell everyone about it).

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That does suck but wasnt planning on leaving AT&T anyway. It will suck more and be more expensive to people that tend to switch carriers alot or cancel early.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not to spite them and it's not for the sake of Verion vs AT&T. I was debating getting the 4G on AT&T and then if/when Verizon gets an iPhone later, paying the ETF and moving over. That way despite what happens or doesn't happen, I'm happy w/ my upgraded phone. Exactly what AT&T is trying to prevent. :p

Edit: I would only come on this site to tell everyone about it if I was a long-term regular and wanted to say my goodbye's. I recall making such a post on one of the Palm forums. But I wouldn't create an account just to do it....or even make a post if I was a short-timer w/ little/no posting history.

10. OneEyedSpaniel macrumors newbie

OneEyedSpaniel

Thanks for the info. I feel in a predicament like most people I'm sure. There are a lot of problems with AT&T, despite them I really don't plan on changing. Plus the 19% corporate discount I currently get doesn't hurt.

11. kicko macrumors 65816

This is not really shocking. If you sign up for 2 years, then do your time or pay up. Devices are getting more expensive, more people try to sign up for services and quit after 30 days just to sell a phone (unlocked or not) on ebay for $500+. All AT&T is doing is pugin' a hole in a place where they need to protect revenue.

What i would rather see is someone like AT&T let you but an unsubsidized device and since you paid upfront for it give you a discounted rate plan since they are not recouping money on a promotional price.

no more contract problems win - win

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Amen to that.
    I think Tmobile has something similar like it where the plans are about $10 or so less than contract plans.

13. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I wonder how long it will be before someone argues that it constitutes a policy change and lets people leave without paying any ETF at all? Poetic justice. :D

I don't really care. My contract is up in July (I bought an unsubsidized device last year), AT&T sucks around here and Apple meting out minimal updates every time the masses start to grumble doesn't cut it anymore. Plus I bought a real "iPhone killer", an iPad, and I can buy any phone I want on any carrier. If AT&T and Apple want to half-ass it again this year, it'll suck to be them for a change.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Your argument is valid only if they actually subsidize more of the price. AFAIK, most smartphones carry the same subsidy as feature phones. I believe the iPhone is the only exception.

Agreed on the unsubsidized phones. I'd rather pay more for my device and pay less on my plan. This subsidy mess is exactly that...a mess. Always has been, since I started in wireless way back in '90.

15. xcrunner macrumors regular

So you're not getting the new iPhone? Upgrading is a new contract you will get the new ETF the next time you upgrade.

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

But the ETF won't effect you unless you cancel service which they aren't planning on doing. Won't effect me either since I'd never switch to Verizon.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What if you want to switch to Google? I hear rolling out a wireless service is their next step toward world domination. :p

18. xcrunner macrumors regular

Oh Ok, gotcha

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It will especially suck for those people intending on buying the iPhone and then canceling service after the 30 days is over. I don't blame AT&T in away for trying to stop this.

20. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

They all have a nice systems in place for anyone who tries to leave them early. Anyone know of any perks for customers who have been loyal and stayed with a company for many years? I know people with jobs/schools that get discounts which is great.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Here's how it should be:

When you buy a new phone you get 2 options:
    1) Pay full price for the phone and pay a rate that is lower than current rates.
    2) Pay a discounted price for the phone. The amount of the discount is amortized over the life of the contract in the form of an added monthly fee on your contract. Perhaps the fee is slightly higher...finance charges. Once paid off, the fee drops off. If you cancel early, whatever remains of that amortized amount is your ETF. And the phone is unlocked once you complete the contract or pay the ETF.

This seems fair to me.

22. uneek1 macrumors regular

Didn't the FCC get involved when Verizon tried to hike up their smartphones? I thought they were shut down on raising their ETF too high.

If so, shouldn't the same thing happen to ATT?

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yup. Both should be forced to adopt a program that CLEARLY reflects the subsidy of the phone. (Like the one I outlined above.)

I don't have a problem w/ a $325 ETF if I know for a fact that's the amount of the subsidy AT&T gave me for the phone. Also, it needs to be prorated so that it's value is $0 by the end of the contract.

24. NintendoFan macrumors regular

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=17951

25. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

Seems like everyone is getting an early iphone upgrade according to my upgrade options, a couple of months ago I added a line for my mom and even that line can get an early iphone upgrade.