AT&T Rate plans vs competitors (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wingnut330, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

After reading for weeks now that all AT&T users are getting screwed by the new rate plans I decided to chime in because from my perspective the rumored new AT&T plans aren't that bad especially when compared to what I pay at Verizon.

* I pay $224 per month for a family plan with 3,000 minutes and unlimited data on ONE phone.

* Verizon charged $50 / month for their data plan for ONE plan

* Verizon charges me an extra fee for unlimited texts (I can't remember the price)

My point here is that the AT&T isn't doing anything that other carriers aren't. It's awesome that some folks had better deals with AT&T in the past - back when Apple was a part of the rate plan mix. But Apple isn't in the rate plan game anymore - it's all AT&T now and I don't think the new plans are that bad.

AT&T's new rate plan is not going to keep me from cancelling my contract with Verizon that's for sure!

I will likely end up spending the same with the new AT&T plans and have TWO phones with unlimited data packages not to mention all of the other features an iPhone has (VV, OSX integration etc).

I can't wait!

2. Kupe macrumors member

In my experience, it's been $44.95/mo (undiscounted, for the last 4 years) on a family plan and is now $30/mo for many (select) PDA Phones. This is without any messaging.

However, I agree with your post. The AT&T rate plans are reasonable and in line with the industry (unless you're with Rogers in Canada :eek:) - and won't prevent me from switch to AT&T from Verizon either. ;)

3. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Yes, AT&T offered better deals in the past. Especially when you dealt with the agent directly, and asked what they could give you extra.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Verizon and AT&T remind me of two gas stations across the street from each other. Seems like when one changes prices, the other one changes their to match.

FWIW,

T-Mobile's unlimited PDA/smartphone data is $20/month (and includes HotSpots).

Sprint's unlimited PDA/smartphone data is $30/month (and includes unlimited texting).

5. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Verizon
    $40/month for unlimited data
    2000 free sms messages per month PDASMS2000 plan for Treos

verizon's evdo network has far more coverage than AT&T's 3G network.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Same thing can be said for gas and groceries.:D

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

How do you get the 2000 free SMS?

If you go thru the process of buying a Treo from www.vzw.com, the only SMS options I see are:

250 messages $5.00/month
    500 messages PLUS Unlimited IN Messaging $10.00/month
    1500 messages PLUS Unlimited IN Messaging $15.00/month
    5000 messages PLUS Unlimited IN Messaging $20.00/month

8. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Really? I travel all over Massachusetts and find their EVDO coverage spotty at best.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

True. But then to further your analogy, Sprint and T-Mobile are like the off-brand gas station that's cheaper but might not be everywhere you go, leaving you stuck at the more expensive station to fill up anyway. :)

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oh, never mind. I see from googling it that it's a legacy plan from two years ago meant to handle the situation of when an old version of Microsoft Exchange had to send a SMS to a Windows Mobile device in order to get it to check for new email. :rolleyes:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/pdap...t-2000-free-text-messages-unlimited-data.html

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

This needs to be pointed out again as a public service for the Verizon readers:

Verizon keeps expanding which PDA phones can use the new $30 data plan. It might pay to call and see if the new plan is available on the one you use.

(And if you are eligible for voice plan discounts, the data plan is discounted to $24.)

Moreover, the data plan's terms have apparently dropped the prohibition against apps like SlingBox... although you're still limited to 5GB a month, after which they reserve the right to throttle you down to 200Kbps for a while.

12. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

You have to have a Windows Mobile Treo. Since their verizon wireless sync process uses a ping to sync they began offering the plan for those that don't have an exchange server. If you go to Treo Central http://discussion.treocentral.com/index.php? you should be able to find some info on the plan. I've had it for about two years. I believe the code for it was PDASMS2000.

13. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

On ATT with an iphone, do received texts count against your limit? Or can you open unlimited texts, but are just limited in how many you send?

14. knelto macrumors regular

I believe it's sending AND receiving/opening. One alleviation to this is for people who have a lot of friends on ATT is to ask for their unlimited M2M for texting, it's only $5 a month extra. I've got it and now I never run out of my standard 200 texts.

15. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Good to know, I didn't know there was unlimited M2M texting for ATT customers. I think I may go that route rather than the 1500 text messages. 90% of my texts are to ATT customers, so I think this may be a cheaper route for me to go.