AT&T Refurb iPhone Users Out There

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ej2zo, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ej2zo macrumors member

Hey, I have two friends that got in on the the refurb deal and they're both telling me that their batteries are barely lasting a day. They're only using it light to moderately. No heavy use really. How's the battery performing on yours? Poorly??

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Remind them that they still have the AppleCare warranty, so they should take their iPhones back to the Apple Store or call AppleCare to get them replaced.

TEG

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

no battery problems with the 4gb refurb i bought from at&t recently...

4. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Are you kidding? Light use?! I haven't put mine down since I got it Friday!! Yesterday night I got a warning that I was down to 20% battery, but so far it's holding up pretty good. About a day and a half probably. I usually charge my stuff overnight (everynight) anyway, so no big deal to me.

5. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Unless it's been unlocked, right? Or can I still get Applecare even if I unlocked it?!?! Apparently the warranty for my s/n is up in late June.

6. Jenheta macrumors regular

The official one is "Yes, the phone must be activated and locked with AT&T"
    but I wonder what T-Mobile users will do when something bad happens.
    Are they going to reset and activate with AT&T ? How are they going to do this
    if the phone is broken ?

7. getbigg21 Guest

got mine on Friday and have used it like crazy. i still haven't had to recharge it.

8. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

What if we just restore it to 1.1.4, then take it in, claiming that we even tried a hard reset/restore?

9. Jenheta macrumors regular

Your phone must be activated with an AT&T plan. A genius bar will check if this is true right off the bat. T-mobile and others are screwed.

10. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I got my 8GB refurbished iPhone from AT&T last week and it holds a charge fine. It lasts about 2 days on very heavy use!

11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

They must have totally changed the battery since I got mine because neither myself nor my wife get ANYWHERE near the kind of battery time ppl here claim to get. Ours, usually by 8pm is near dead. And I would say it was moderate use, some of which is calls. But then I see ppl like the above poster saying "2 days with HEAVY usage", how it that possible?

12. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I bought two on Day 1, an 8 Gb and a 4 Gb. My wife charges her 4 Gb about every three or four days. That has been pretty consistent since new. A caveat here is she uses hers almost exclusively as a phone. She hardly ever uses the iPod function or the e-mail. Google maps is the only app she ever uses. I, however, use the crap out of mine. I check my e-mail all day; check my stock portfolio - Apple is at $139.53 @ 3:34 CDT; check the weather and use it as a phone, with a bluetooth headset. I normally charge mine every other day. I do synch it every night because I rely heavily on the calender, so it is getting a small charge every day, but I doubt it is much. If I did not get at least two good days with heavy use, I would take it back to Apple. Less than a day is clearly a bad battery.

13. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

But it was. My serial number is in the system and my warranty is good through June 2008... it was activated at some point on AT&T. So if I restore it, then take it in with "out of the box" software, how would they know?

14. Jenheta macrumors regular

If you have an AT&T plan then you are safe.
    That's not the case for most of other unlockers (including myself now ;))

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I pretty much spent yesterday trying to get it to full charge between uses. Yeah, I know. Not the smartest thing. LAY OFF! :) But I didn't seem to notice any battery issues. I've played a few music videos without the battery going down noticably.

16. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

sigh.... so no need to waste the money on Applecare (if you plan on using TMobile)... er.... wait... I already bought applecare.... right..... :(

17. Jenheta macrumors regular

On the bright side, if you restore your phone and get an AT&T plan...no worries.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

FYI on the subject of battery life, today I took my iPhone off the cradle around 11 a.m. It's now 6:15 p.m. and it says about 3/4 battery life. This is playing a little music (maybe 30-45 minutes), checking e-mail every now and then, adding a bunch of newspaper Web site links to my home screen, using it for about 5 minutes of calls.