AT&T refurbished Phone on my name

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bornchilla, Mar 9, 2008.

1. bornchilla macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought a refurbished iPhone at AT&T and they wanted to write down my name for the purchase. Is that going to put me in any trouble regarding the unlocking process? I just gave them my name and they registered it, nothing else... I got the phone and walked out. Did this happen to any of you guys?

Regars,
    Felix

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

that's weird-- did you tell them you were getting it as a gift? or did they ask about a contract?

3. bornchilla thread starter macrumors member

no telling them i am getting it as a gift. he said we have to register it to any name... and i told him that i will not use the phone, it's for a friend and he said that's fine...

actually I am hesitating to unlock. I could have given him any name... damn

Oh and btw. the phone already works is that normal. I can switch it on and use wlan to surf. I cannot phone cause obviously my sim is not working but the phone itself works. Is that normal for refurbished phones?

4. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I purchased my refurbished one last week and they didn't ask for SS#/Credit Check or ask my name.

As for the phone itself, I have not turned it on, yet. First I still need to find out how to do a GoPhone plan.

5. bornchilla thread starter macrumors member

they didn't ask for my SS or credit card or any other proof either, just wanted to know my name and said they need this for registering... even if the phone is not for me

6. outkaste25 macrumors member

1. They should not have asked for your name

but

2. Their could be thousands of people out there with your name so I would not worry about it.

It is a little odd that it is already working though. Could be they never relocked it after someone sent it in to become a refurb. Good luck with ur phone.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Them asking your name is probably in line with them attempting to keep the iPhone limit of two per person in effect. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for it working out of the box, I'd say you're lucky. I was hoping I would be able to do that when I bought mine just so I could finish up my old contract and have the phone when I started the new one. No such luck tho.

8. bornchilla thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I hope it's nothing serious with my name because they showed me the process and they couldn't skip it. They weren't even interested in seeing some kind of ID so I could have told them any name.

And regarding the active phone. I can use every function but not the phone obviously.
    I think I will wait for iPlus 2 and unlock tomorrow... Currently I have version 1.1.2. otb so first thing to do is updating to 1.1.4 in iTunes right?
    This will probably lock my phone again right? But then I should just use iPlus and jailbrake, unlock etc. it right?

9. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

When in doubt, I always use the name Haywood Jablome.

I never give out real phone numbers or e-mail addresses at POS, either. Often, I will just give them what the guy in front of me just gave them. I get some funny looks sometimes...

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Likewise there are quite a few people who believe I actually live at the Hilton Waterfront. :) I couldn't live there though as their area rugs do not match the rest of the decor. :)

11. zand macrumors newbie

You're sure it was not just for the receipt? Like they ask for your AT&T number when you buy i.e. accessories so they have a copy of the receipt in their systems?

12. bornchilla thread starter macrumors member

it was a screen in their AT&T system which showed my name, email (which they didnt ask for) and IMEI which they didnt ask for as well (but maybe they get that automatically from the bar code)
    The dude in the shop didn't care who's name was on there and I told him that I'm not getting this phone for myself but for a friend but he said that's alright...
    Oh and he said it had something to do with unlocking, but I can't imagine how a name would help preventing this.

13. iag48 macrumors regular

damn how did you get it without the contract!!! they wont sell it to me even if i say its a gift!!!

14. bornchilla thread starter macrumors member

Weird thing happened today, I went to the AT&T store to get another refurb. iPhone. This time they wouldn't want to sell me one if I don't take a contract or register with AT&T.
    I told them that the phone is a present and that they will register online via iTunes but they refused to sell me the phone without registering...

I thought AT&T is not allowed to refuse selling an iPhone even if I don't register in the shop.
    Does anyone have experience with this?