AT&T rep asked if I was getting the new iPhone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Apr 15, 2009.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

this summer? I said "yeah" if they release one. He also mentioned that Apple and AT&T will sell the new iPhone to any customer that currently owns a v1 iPhone or the 3G iPhone and waive the requirement that they be at least 18 months into their contract. I was a bit skeptical, but invited the rumor or skuttlebutt at this point, since it's so late in the year with regards to rumors about a new iPhone....:eek::eek::eek:

2. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Well I sure hope the do a little "sum-sum" on the side for current iPhone owners. I've only had my 3G since December and if (more like when) the new iPhone comes out and if it's the BIG improvement like we think...Well lets just say I'd like to ditch the 3G but I'm nowhere near eligible for upgrade yet so this would be great if true.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Representatives likely don't have any more information than the average consumer does. I doubt that that information would be accurate.

4. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea, he may be right, but he doesnt know. they dont send out any information until after the keynote when they announce it.

and the iphone 3G is a subsidized phone so they wont just LET anyone who has it upgrade, have to be eligible because att is taking such a hit on the cost they have to make it up over time.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

that's funny, cause there's another thread on here where a ATT rep said there won't be a new iphone this year. (i don't think they know what they're talking about.)

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

AT&T reps don't know anything. I went into an AT&T store last week and the rep knew nothing about the iPhone OS 3.0.

7. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Since when were sales reps privy to confidential information.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, but you have NO IDEA what that cost is.

Apple says they'll have to sell them for $699 unlocked. AT&T sells them for $299. Does that mean AT&T gave Apple $400? Heck no. There's some magic number between there that they pay, and netiher you nor I no what that is.

So what DO they pay them? What if it's $100? (As a random guess) What if AT&T lets 3G users upgrade if they pay that extra $100 and extend their contract 1 year? Then AT&T gets some cash to cover the fist phone, and they've just locked you in for one more year which will easily make up the cash for the 2nd phone. It's win-win for them in that case.

So in that case, an upgrade option is VERY likely! Now, I have no idea what the magic number is, so I can't say that this will happen. But it's also true that you don't know what the magic number is, so you can't say it WON'T happen!

9. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, I can only speak about our conversation and share that with MR. He did show me his 3G iPhone with 3.0, and I've known him personally for about 15 years and he's been an AT&T representative for about 8 years, so I guess that only provides ethos for ME.....:eek::eek::eek:

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, the reason I believe him is that AT&T really really wants Apple to extend their contract since the iPhone is brining so many customers into AT&T. So prepare to see AT&T do some crazy things that make Apple happy (such as boosting their 3rd gen iPhone sales through the roof by encouraging re-sales to last year's buyers.)

This means that I fully believe AT&T will be willing to LOSE money in the short run if it gains them more customers, many of whom won't switch even after the iPhone opens up (because people are lazy).

So all the "AT&T has to make money" arguments don't hold much water for me. I'm betting that for 2009 and 2010, they actually DON'T have to make money. This is long-term strategy for them.

11. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

i worked for att and had our cost sheets for every phone, 8GB was 574 and 16GB was 674, thats what att paid for each one, i was surprised

12. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ just amazing that the subsidized prices can get to $199 and $299....

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Just goes to show you how much mark up there is on texting, data, and all the other stuff.
    Texting costs 40x more pr mb than getting info back from the Hubble telescope.

14. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Asking a low level AT&T rep about the future release of a new phone is like asking a flight attendant about the future purchase of new airplanes.

There's just no way they would know...in fact I think its not even up to AT&T right now...I'd imagine the ball is still firmly secure in Apple's court.

If any of that made sense.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

If any rep actually knew we would all know as well. I think it's funny that people expect that a rep (basically a minimum wage employee) would know something like this. If the rep knew, then the UPS guys would probably know as well - I mean, they're the ones that are going to be shipping the units to the stores, right?

16. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I want some of what you've been smoking!

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why do so many people think sales reps know anything? This person probably learned what he/she knew from reading boards like this. In other words, he/she didn't "know" anything.

It's pretty much a given that some change will be made this summer. That's like guessing that EA Sports will release a new Madden game. The details are known by few and are all speculation outside Cupertino.

18. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

What if we have both iPhones? ;)

I want to get something for them!

19. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

This logic is not surprising from someone from Washington, DC.

20. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

About the same time forum members here were.

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Hahaha!

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

23. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I'm looking forward to the next few weeks and AT&T's verbal gymnastics to close the deal.....:p:p:p:p

24. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Cool I canceled my contract and then came back last october and had a 3G so that's good to know they'll waive the fee.