Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_19025553

Q: I was grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data package when it stopped offering the option. Will I be able to keep it if I upgrade to the iPhone 5?

A: AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel declined to comment on this seemingly black-and-white question. Based on accounts from AT&T subscribers when upgrading from older iPhones to the iPhone 4, the answer appears to be yes, unless you're in the top 5 percent of data users. Losing a subscriber is the last thing any carrier wants, and if AT&T happens to refuse to let you keep your unlimited plan, an option you'll likely have is to switch to Sprint, which is expected to land the iPhone 5 and offers unlimited data. Another question may be whether you really need to keep the unlimited data plan, which costs $5 more per month than the 2 gigabyte plan. Check your monthly data usage because most consumers don't exceed 2 gigabytes. I use my iPhone frequently for e-mail and Web browsing and consume about 1.5 gigabytes per month. I always connect the phone to my home Internet via Wi-Fi to limit network data consumption. Andy Vuong, The Denver Post

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
probably yes
I have the unlimited plan from years ago right now
but they may change policy
the service rep cant really answer the question if they dont know yet
this is still breaking news

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
It is going to happen, sooner or later. Unfortunately that's the reality.

What will really be interesting is how long Sprint will keep their unlimited plans for.

Downdivx

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Fayetteville, NC
I checked my upgrade status at AT&T's website, and it had peculiar verbiage: "Some services on your current device may be replaced by similar iPhone services during upgrade."
(See attached screen capture)

Do I need to know my carrier situation to order from Apple on Friday? Could I change to a new Sprint account next week if AT&T announces that I'm no longer on unlimited data?

Attachments

• ATTupgrade.png
    ATTupgrade.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 120

zmulleni

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I am convinced that they have no idea what's going on over there. For a communication company it's quite ironic of the lack of communication throughout the company and it's representatives. Not real pleased at the moment.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Ha, ha...the iPhone 5 doesn't even exist. An AT&T rep knows next to nothing about the current phones. How the heck would he know what future policy would be. :confused:

towboattrash34

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2009
yes you can keep it when you upgrade... nobody knows about an iPhone 5 yet.
i have upgraded early since my ip 3.. and just upgraded from the 4 to 4s and still keep my same plan... Unlimited

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
I'd be willing to bet that the grandfather plan is contingent on using 3G. Assuming the iPhone 5 has 4G, they might use that as a way to force you to upgrade out of the unlimited plan.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
I'll indeed be very mad if they have to terminate my unlimited but it is what it is. In the long run it will benefit me. I'd only pay $25 for 2GB which I never go over instead of $30 for unlimited. But still, the title of having unlimited gives you peace at mind.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I get throttled every month and so does my daughter. It got so bad that I broke down and got a Verizon MiFi to augment our data needs.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If you upgraded to the 4S I do not think you will be able to keep unlimited going to the next iPhone. It now states that it is unlimited data for iPhone 4S. On previous iPhones it stated unlimited data for iPhone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I want to know about the iphone 8 and my unlimited data plan.
Let me call up AT&T:D

If you upgraded to the 4S I do not think you will be able to keep unlimited going to the next iPhone. It now states that it is unlimited data for iPhone 4S. On previous iPhones it stated unlimited data for iPhone.

That's because its for HSPA+ and the 4S uses different carrier settings for the faster AT&T 3G+ data.

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
easy

doesn't matter: you'll always be able to buy 5 at at full price

few advantages:
- keep grandpa plan (unlimited is worthless at the moment, but if class lawsuit gets filed ...) & $5 txt msging
- sell your 4 & pay about $300 difference
- keep terms of the current contract you've signed (e.g. not agreeing to throttling)
- ability to take your iphone to another provider at any time & not having to pay etf fee (have to get it from apple directly btw)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
As others probably have mentioned, if you are grandfathered to the unlimited data plan, you will always have that option when you upgrade.

My sister upgraded her iphone 3G to the 4S, and she still has the unlimited data plan.

Even though when you order from the apple online store, you will still have the unlimited data plan option to choose. While those who didn't grandfather it won't see that option. So don't worry and upgrade when the next generation comes out.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Umm... seems everyone's missing something about this old post.

Article is from October 3, 2011.
iPhone 4S was announced October 4, 2011.

They're talking about the 4S not its successor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.