AT&T Rep Implies Subsidy on iPhone 3G and Timeframe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stormpoint, May 21, 2008.

1. stormpoint macrumors newbie

I was talking to my AT&T corporate rep today and I later visited the story. When I was talking to the corporate rep, he said that he should be able to get us the 3G iPhone sometime in June, and at the store an employee suggested we not change our contracts because "there may be a subsidy offered on the 3G iPhone".

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

These people are just feeding you the same unconfirmed information that can be found all over these forums.

3. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Rest assured that AT&T corporate reps will be the last people to get substantive information on the gen2 iphone.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Same re-hased info every time.

I guess the early June 3G iPhone release is inevitable

5. stormpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Not the representatives from AT&T Corporate, I meant my businesses' representative from AT&T. I would say they are more likely to know what's coming than those at the stores.

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

This is the same story we keep hearing about AT&T and the $200 equipment reduction. I think the core point of the story is there will be $200 subsidy, but I was hearing on the current model (not sure how this would be possible if they no longer make it). The 3G think I thing is crap as they would have no idea on that model, but if for some reason Apple keeps current version then the $200 is more likely. Oh well, time will tell (about 18 days I guess).

7. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

On the phone itself, sure. On what offers will be available with it, maybe not.

8. stormpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

The corporate rep didn't say that, that was a store employee.

9. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

No one in sales will ever know anything about upcoming launches and if they do, someone would leak it on the internet. Trust me.

10. pavvento macrumors 6502

I see the subsidy as more of a advertising gimmick. Assuming the storage stays the same I think we would see 8gb $499 and 16gb $599. Then you receive either an instant, or mail in rebate for $200 to bring the prices right where they are now. This is a perfect way for Apple and AT&T to not dip into profits, but ensure that more people are signing with AT&T. A $75 ETF with T-Mobile or Verizon (pro-rated) or even $150 looks more attractive if I get $200 off the phone. Just my $.02

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The problem with the idea that a subsidy is a gimmick is that, well, it isn't.

Phone companies make their money off of contracted phone bills, not phone sales. And while the iPhone certainly has been an exception to that rule it was, up until recently, in a class all its own.

While you can argue, and I personally would agree, that the iPhone will likely still be the best option following the next upgrade it now has touch screen, all-in-one, even look-a-like "iPhone killer" competition, all of which will likely be subsidized.

If iPhone's competitors have subsidies with contracts and cost hundreds less than an iPhone that has a forced two-year contract with no subsidy making it cost hundreds more then Apple will be unlikely to sell 10 million by the end of this year. Meaning also that if Apple/AT&T raise the price of the iPhone to make up for a large portion of what is subsidized it will not do what the subsidy needs to do, which is make the iPhone competitively priced.

12. thaitillidie macrumors member

$!&! Spin-zone from outer space!

Will somebody PLEASE give me some frickin' info that I can use for a change?!! On second thought, nevermind, I'll just delete macrumors from my bookmarks and wait 2 weeks before checking the site again. That'll teach 'em a lesson!

So I bid all you sucka rumor junkies a fond farewell cuz I refuse to be victimed anymore. But before I leave let me say this...by now Mr. Jobs is well aware of all the obvious feature omissions from the 1st gen iPhone, so in light of all this unnecessary frickin' hype unless the update includes EACH one of them he can kiss my chocolatey a$$ goodbye. I WILL NOT buy it. Period. For what, just the benefit of 3G and the MailSync functionality??? Gimme a freakin' frickin' break!

13. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

I'm kind of sad to see you go. It was such a nice time with you here, these past 2 days.

14. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Yea those 2 threads certainly wouldnt have been the same without your input!

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Oh you poor thing. Can someone get you a cup of hot chocolate and a blanket? I know it's a traumatic thing to be victimed.

Perhaps you can find a support group where you and others can bemoan the horrors of rumors and the toll it has taken on your life. Possibly one day you can hold your head high and say, "I will not be victimed again." Maybe you'll even get a book deal out of it. Try to get a guest spot on Oprah.

16. TexasAg macrumors member

Yeah, something tells me thaitillidie goes through life being victimized time and again.

17. viggen61 macrumors 6502

So you come to a site called MacRUMORS and expect to get cold, hard facts?:confused:

None of us have any facts about what will or won't be announced on or about June 9 (well probably none, but those who might have the facts can't talk about it under peanalty of death, or worse, being banned from the inner circle at Apple...:eek:).

We're all just eagerly anticipating the news, speculating on what is to come, and passing judgement on the variety of supposed "facts" that seem to swarm about the 'net near any Apple announcement.:D

Some are looking to upgrade their iPhone, some (like me) are looking to buy our first.

It's fun, it's entertainment, and maybe (hopefully) we'll get a nice, new iPhone in a few weeks.

Enjoy! :)

:apple:

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

[​IMG]

It's not that serious.

19. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Yea, that will teach them.

Back on topic - I'm surprised why so many people look upon a $200 subsidy as something that won't happen. Every smartphone I've ever purchased (and I've had just about every Treo as well as a number of WM smartphones) has been subsidized by at least $200-300 with a 2 year contract. All the major cell phone companies do this as normal business practices. Why would the iPhone be treated any different? The fact that it is not subsidized is what surprises me. I know it's an Apple iPhone, it gets treated differently.

20. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I can understand why it wasn't previously, but I agree that it will more than likely be done now given all the competition that is available that will likely be subsidized.