Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgibb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Michigan
While testing out the preorder process I got to a point where this option came up...'Replace this iPhone or Buy new on existing line'..? I currently have a 6, that was not on 'Next' plan and paid subsidy 2yr contract for. I plan on upgrading using the 'Next' plan (seems to be only option) however I am unclear on which option to choose. At this point I'm leaning towards 'Replace this IPhone' just confusing. Any thoughts?
[doublepost=1473393518][/doublepost]
While testing out the preorder process I got to a point where this option came up...'Replace this iPhone or Buy new on existing line'..? I currently have a 6, that was not on 'Next' plan and paid subsidy 2yr contract for. I plan on upgrading using the 'Next' plan (seems to be only option) however I am unclear on which option to choose. At this point I'm leaning towards 'Replace this IPhone' just confusing. Any thoughts?
Just wanted to mention, my main concern is I don't want to trade/turn in my current device. Simply want to upgrade.

Last edited:

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
[doublepost=1473393518][/doublepost]
Just wanted to mention, my main concern is I don't want to trade/turn in my current device. Simply want to upgrade.
If you buy on existing plan at full price nothing to worry about keep plan and your new iPhone is unlocked

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
It is basically saying the cell phone number he is using will be the line he is buying the new phone for, then you select how you want to pay, Next, in full, etc.

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
It is basically saying the cell phone number he is using will be the line he is buying the new phone for, then you select how you want to pay, Next, in full, etc.
Okay makes sense then adding a phone would probably charge me at checkout for "adding a line" ect

tgibb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Michigan
Agreed, I believe this is the right option as well. It just made me think for a second if this option meant it would require me to turn in my current device (i6)...

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
Very confusing language ATT is using... Since. It's phrases seem to imply the same thing...

To me, replace this iPhone means ... I have a plan and phone number line and an iPhone and I want to replace the iPhone I have on this plan with a new iPhone

To me, buy new on existing line means means I have a plan (and presumably a phone to go with it) and I want to buy a new phone for this line (replacing the phone I currently have on this line)

Interested in how anyone sees distinctly different meanings between the two here.

To me it seems close enough that you have a 50/50 chance of guessing which is the right one for your situation. Lol.

tgibb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Michigan
Very confusing language ATT is using... Since. It's phrases seem to imply the same thing...

To me, replace this iPhone means ... I have a plan and phone number line and an iPhone and I want to replace the iPhone I have on this plan with a new iPhone

To me, buy new on existing line means means I have a plan (and presumably a phone to go with it) and I want to buy a new phone for this line (replacing the phone I currently have on this line)

Interested in how anyone sees distinctly different meanings between the two here.

To me it seems close enough that you have a 50/50 chance of guessing which is the right one for your situation. Lol.
Haha, scandalous language.

chiawen.yang

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Austin, Texas
Okay makes sense then adding a phone would probably charge me at checkout for "adding a line" ect

Buy new on existing line. Next is a contract for purchase of a new phone, and AT&T will see it as you bringing your own phone giving you the discount of bringing your own device. Different from the two year subsidies, you don't get a discount because of the subsidize phone.

When you buy as new phone you are starting a contract on the iPhone. Your subsidized phone doesn't matter as long as you finish the contract by keeping service with AT&T.

Too much to get technical, but since you're still going to be on AT&T and going next, you are Buying a new phone on an existing line using Next to pay for the iPhone.m

Oh yeah, line is (555) 555-5555 while account is 123456789012345 whatever your AT&T account number is. Very different meaning.

Last edited:

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Buy new on existing line. Next is a contract for purchase of a new phone, and AT&T will see it as you bringing your own phone giving you the discount of bringing your own device. Different from the two year subsidies, you don't get a discount because of the subsidize phone.

When you buy as new phone you are starting a contract on the iPhone. Your subsidized phone doesn't matter as long as you finish the contract by keeping service with AT&T.

Too much to get technical, but since you're still going to be on AT&T and going next, you are Buying a new phone on an existing line using Nect to pay for the iPhone.
Have a no contact plan with AT&T I am paying in full but with the confusing wording I don't know which option to pick replace this phone or add new phone

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Please select from the below choices...
BUY A NEW PHONE
REPLACE THE PHONE I HAVE
Exactly lol which one with a no contract AT&T plan lol!
[doublepost=1473395152][/doublepost]Buy a new phone -> pay in full -> checkout

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I would assume if you are "Buying new" it means you aren't trading/turning in a different one. Like I have an iPhone I purchased 2nd hand (not attached to any contract)

"Replacing" the phone I would think that is referring to you having another phone to turn in (AT&T Next, iPhone Upgrade Plan etc)

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Sorry for confusion, I have a mobile share plan that is "no contract" and want to keep, I just want to make sure I pick right option, obviously there's a option to pay in full at end. But their wording sucks, replace or new phone

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
I've never traded in a phone ever... But if that is the theory then the grade school rewrite of their choices would be

BUYING A NEW PHONE
TRADING IN AN EXISTING PHONE

applefanboy4

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Sorry for confusion, I have a mobile share plan that is "no contract" and want to keep, I just want to make sure I pick right option, obviously there's a option to pay in full at end. But their wording sucks, replace or new phone

Yeah, this is poorly worded. Im in the same boat. I have iPhone 6s, via ATT on contract. I want to buy the iPhone 7, from Apple, continue on with my same phone number etc... I have mobile share too.

I dont know what to do.

This is extremely confusing

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Yeah, this is poorly worded. Im in the same boat. I have iPhone 6s, via ATT on contract. I want to buy the iPhone 7, from Apple, continue on with my same phone number etc... I have mobile share too.

I dont know what to do.

This is extremely confusing
Let me know what you think I'm staying up too I don't know what to do or if I should just order the T mobile one since it's the same phone anyways and pay full price at checkout

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
It's asking you whether you want to:

A. Replace the phone on your current number (aka upgrade to a new phone on your current phone number)
Or B. Add a new phone number and a new line to your plan.

Replace your current phone via option A. It will get you on the AT&T Next program.

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007

A. Replace the phone on your current number (aka upgrade to a new phone on your current phone number)

Replace your current phone via option A. It will get you on the AT&T Next program.
What if you don't want the AT&T next program you want to pay in full and keep same contract?

applefanboy4

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015

I dont want the ATT next thought. I have an iPhone 6s. 1 line. Mobile share. I want my iPhone 7 to come in the mail. And turn off my iPhone 6s. Turn on my iPhone 7. And continue on with the phone number Im currently on now. Im not into going to an ATT store and turning in my iPhone 6s.
I just want my same number Im using now

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
What if you don't want the AT&T next program you want to pay in full and keep same contract?

Then pay in full. That option is available. Still hit "replace this phone" and choose the pay in full option.
[doublepost=1473398433][/doublepost]
I dont want the ATT next thought. I have an iPhone 6s. 1 line. Mobile share. I want my iPhone 7 to come in the mail. And turn off my iPhone 6s. Turn on my iPhone 7. And continue on with the phone number Im currently on now. Im not into going to an ATT store and turning in my iPhone 6s.
I just want my same number Im using now

You can either pay in full or pay in installments via AT&T Next. Your phone number will remain the same though as long as you hit "replace this phone"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.