AT&T Reportedly Planning for iPhone Launch in Late September

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

BGR reports that AT&T is apparently targeting an iPhone launch in the third or fourth week of September, shifting to an "all-hands-on-deck policy" through mid-October to help handle the surge of customers that inevitably accompanies new iPhone launches.
    AT&T has reportedly even gone as far as to reschedule a training event originally planned for the first week of October so that it's employees can remain available to help with the iPhone launch.

[​IMG]

Numerous sources have all but confirmed that Apple will be introducing the next-generation iPhone on Wednesday, September 12, with iMore adding that the first round of launches will take place on Friday, September 21.

BGR has reported on carrier vacation blackouts and staffing ramp-ups a number of times in the past, but has a mixed track record with such reports. Back in late July 2011, the site reported that AT&T was planning for an early-to-mid September iPhone launch. As that timeframe passed with no announcement from Apple, the site reported that AT&T was setting vacation blackouts for the first two weeks of October. The iPhone 4S debuted on AT&T on October 14, at the end of that window.

Article Link: AT&T Reportedly Planning for iPhone Launch in Late September

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Yay! hopefully it will be made available directly after the keynote.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

4. jasonxneo macrumors regular

jasonxneo

5. joelisfar macrumors member

"AT&T has reportedly even gone as far as to reschedule a training event originally planned for the first week of October"

I guess it's nice of Apple to let them know about a month before they tell the rest of the world.

6. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

wonder by when it will be in Poland??? might have to make a "business" trip to London end of sept...

7. newyorksole macrumors 68040

can't wait. I guess they'll send out invites for the iPhone event in the first week of September.

8. makitango macrumors regular

i'm really interested in seeing how at&t performs in sales this year, after they eyef***ed so many customers into an angry corner.

9. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Why go through all that trouble? I will ship it to you, you can just but it from me on ebay :p

10. 2bikes macrumors 6502

11. chrmjenkins, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They've never done that. They'll announce it at the keynote, pre-orders at midnight in two days (Friday night) and sale in 9 days.

12. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

All Hands...

And in related news, the "All Hands on Deck Policy for ATT" has been extended thru at least Mid-December to handle the next wave of "Network Choke" expected to be brought about by the next IPhone launch.

1-800 Custumer Care reps and Tech support are being issued extra-thick earplugs to handle the onslaught of bad temper and four letter words anticipated....

;)

13. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Lets just get it over with so all those people screaming about jumping ship can just go already.

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Works for me as me and my family are eligible to upgrade till October anyhow. Hopefully the demand won't be as crazy by then, but I doubt it.

16. nsfw macrumors regular

Can't wait to jump to Verizon in SFO. ATT is teh suck. But my favorite part of new iphone launches is the people who just got a phone during the last refresh who don't understand that they don't get a $199 subsidized upgrade after 12 months. (In this case its going to be 11 months)

17. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Why would ANYONE buy their iPhone from ATT when you can go to an Apple store with NO pushy sales people trying to upsale you with $40 accessories made from 10 cents worth of plastic.

18. Codyak macrumors 6502

Codyak

Masochist would be my guess, although sticking with AT&T kinda points to that already. ;)

19. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

12 announcment.

21 release.

These are facts now, confirmed by everyone.

20. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

That's never been a problem for me. Who knows about this year. Then again, I am traveling to Peru in October and need to use my unlocked iPhone. I won't be upgrading until I get back and even then, I need to use the next version first before I decide to buy it.

----------

Because they don't have an Apple store near them? For example, in the Valley here in Texas, the closest Apple store is 3 hours away in San Antonio. Sure they can order online, but some people like to use the phone first before they decide it's the right phone for them.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They've both get picked up by other outlets as serious relatively the same amount.

22. Schmitty11 macrumors 6502

No S*** Sherlock. Hows that "doubling down" working for you? Commence down votes, oh wait you cant down vote me. Haha!

23. batting1000 macrumors 604

Now all we need to see is the invite which should be out in two weeks or so.

24. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Lack of a close Apple Store, account complications (I know some people have experienced problems at Apple Stores not being the primary account holder, and if you have a corporate plan.) Anyway, I doubt AT&T will be pushing people to buy accessories on launch day. They will be focused on getting people in and out as fast as possible.

Perhaps a better question would be why go to a store at all?

25. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

My mistake. Looking back now I remember.