AT&T response to unlocked Phone-

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Sep 24, 2007.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

SAN FRANCISCO -(Dow Jones)- An iPhone owner recently installed software that let the device make calls and surf the Web using T-Mobile's cell phone network, rather than AT&T Inc.'s (T).

When he went to have AT&T address a technical issue with the phone, AT&T technicians noticed his carrier switcheroo, declared the phone's warranty voided and ensured the phone could never again be used on AT&T's network.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200709240813DOWJONESDJONLINE000209_FORTUNE5.htm

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How stupid is that? :confused:

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Agreed

Yeah...at that point he has given Apple and T-Mobile money. AT&T has gotten nothing from him.

Why on in the world would AT&T have any reason at all to offer any help? Did he think they'd be afraid of losing a non-paying customer? :rolleyes:

5. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

They probably ended his contract.

7. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

and....

and how does that render a unlocked phone, curently using the T-Mobile network, unusable ?

8. alljunks macrumors regular

good...i wish ATT can end my contract early..since I still have 20 months of contract with them..

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

unusable on AT&T's network. Basically they flagged his IMEI as undesirable/stolen/cloned.

http://www.gsmworld.com/using/security/index.shtml

B

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Unusable on the AT&T network

11. mani macrumors member

What's the point? He doesn't even want to use at&t.

12. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Not everybody is unlocking there phone. Most people wont. What is it 15% of iphones are unlocked, so what big deal. Apple should have never locked the iphone to one company. :mad::mad::mad:

13. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

American law has recently made a provision documenting that it is perfectly legal to unlock your mobile telephone.

We wouldn't think of tinkering with our car as an illegal activity so why on earth should unlocking an iphone (our own property) be considered illegal, or "bad"?

Apple and AT&T are absolutly taking the pee with this arrangement. It's anti-monopoly laws, and it can't be long before the EU sticks it's beak in and interferes...

14. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Voiding the warranty seems a little odd unless they have a direct 800 number to Apple for voiding iPhone warranties on the spot. :rolleyes:

Also, why would anyone on T-mobile care that their phone couldn't be used on ATT?

The whole thing sounds like ATT store BS from some dope behind the counter.

Good find.

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

That is fine but then why go to AT&T for support?

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Presumably, AT&T and T-Mobile have roaming agreements. Therefore, if they blacklisted his IMEI, it would prevent him from using his iPhone on the AT&T network when traveling.

17. calvy macrumors 65816

so if I want out of my contract, just hack my iphone, go to AT&T for help, and they'll boot me out? nice. I assume no ETF when you are forcibly removed from contract.

18. sanford macrumors 65816

They'll probably bill you the $175 fee if the contract allows them to do that even if they boot you. Also, he's probably lucky they blacklisted his IMEI on their internal ATT database, not the carrier-shared database used to block off stolen phones from any network.

19. comacnut macrumors member

I'd bet my iPhone that the reporter from CNN didn't verify any of the information in the story. Worthless drivel. :rolleyes:

20. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I read the links story.... doesn't look like ATT is doing much of anything. I mean, take them a hacked phone, and they ban it on their network? THAT is their WHOLE reaction? As I have said in other posts, they really do not have much they CAN do about it. (Unless you are STUPID enough to HAND them a hacked phone)

I wondered a bit about this, too, when I followed that link. What IF ATT blacklisted you worldwide? I would assume there would be safeguards against a vindictive banning like that. If ATT did that, there would be one nasty-ass lawsuit day one!

21. bmustaf macrumors regular

Hahaha, at&t's network is already unusable...not a big loss for this guy! Kinda like being locked out of the Tower of London...big deal.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The point is that outside of the T-Mobile network (which by comparison is quite small) he really can't use the phone. Nor can he sell it as "usuable on any network," because it can't be used on AT&T.

This is pretty much the peril you face when unlocking this phone. And it was stupid of the person in the story to go back to AT&T and try to have them fix a modded phone, He got what he deserved.

What DOES steam me is how AT&T can easily do this for unlocked iPhones, yet can't seem to lock out phones that have been reported stolen! :rolleyes:

23. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Maybe for you.

I'm getting better service with it then with tmobile.

I doubt it is that high. I bet 3%. If you can point me to a story that shows 15% I will stand corrected though.

++1

24. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

That was really stupid of him.
    I hacked the iphone and been using this phone on Tmobile but I want AT&T to fix it:D
    lol

25. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Can you point him to one that states 3%? If not his number is just like yours, a guess.