AT&T - Return iPhone 4S, then add a line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zmulleni, Oct 10, 2011.

1. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

I currently have an iPhone 4 which I bought on launch last year. I also have an unlimited data plan with just 450 minutes. I pre-ordered an iPhone 4s and paid the $549 (32GB) since I wasn't due for an upgrade until late November.

My question is, once the iPhone 4s arrives can I take it unopened to my local AT&T store, tell them I would like to return it, add a line to my account, then repurchase the iPhone 4s (at the $299 price point) with my new added line, and finally have it switched to my main line?

I was having all sorts of issues adding a line during pre-order, hence the reason for my question above. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated thank you!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sounds like a lot of trouble to get a phone 6 weeks early to me...

But to answer your question, yes, you can probably do that. However keep in mind that the UPGRADE date of late November is not the end of your contract. Your suggested scheme will be starting a new 2-year contract now for the 2nd line, and you will still be responsible for paying on the other line until February (end of your 2-year contract on the launch-day iPhone 4).

You'll probably save a little money, but not much. And probably you will not save anything at all if you put a value on your time.