AT&T ripping me off on DATA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Aug 14, 2010.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I have been home sick since thursday and will probably stay home all weekend. My iPhone billing cycle ended Aug 12th at midnight I am sure and started again on the 13th. When I logged into my ATT wireless data app Friday morning the 13th it said I had used .25. I don't see how I could have used any data whatsoever since I went to bed and then checked it in the morning. So I decided to check it again this morning and now it says I've used .83mgs. Again, I have not been out of the house and I am connected to my Home Wi-Fi so where is this data usage coming from. I will check it again tomorrow morning and see how this is progressing but this has me concerned since I just downgraded my data plan to the lowest 200 mgs a month since I an usually always connected to wifi but if this continues I can see where it might take 10 mgs a month and maybe even more. Does this sound about right?

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

There are a few other threads about this. I've noticed some "suspicious" data on my account as well.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I've noticed that it takes a little over 36 hours for the data to show on the account, so that usage was probably used last billing cycle and now is appearing on your current billing cycle. Has happened to me a few times, I just haven't given much thought or time into it because I'm on unlimited.

4. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you get time, check out some of the other threads that are about this same topic.

5. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well it's been three days now since my cycle began and I am still accumilating data. Now it's up to 1.31 mgs and I haven't left the house!

6. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

OK I checked out some other threads on this same issue and it looks like other are having the same problem. Gizmodo says that we are not charged for this data but that is not true since it is accumilating against my limited 200 mg plan daily. I fear something nerfarious is going on here.

7. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

I am now up to 1.31 mgs this morning without even leaving the house since Thurs. and only being connected to my home wifi. I just turned off "Cellular Data" and will check again tomorrow and if the data use is up even more then there is indeed a problem here.
    I will report back tomorrow.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It could be that it's doing it in the background, if you have a bunch of push notifications/your e-mail and your Internet goes out it'll switch to 3G. Your Internet is pretty much on always, it's an iPhone thing.

9. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

I just turned off "Cellular Data" and not just the "3G" since it could still use Edge so I will see what happens tomorrow.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you look at eh usage details, you'll see a disclaimer at the bottom that says (emphasis mine):

If you end up seeing it on your bill for this period, then consider disputing it.

Keep in mind however that things like visual voice mail and MMS use data and do not go over WiFi, so if you've had any of those events occur, then that's likely where the usage is coming from.

11. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for looking into that.
    I have not had any of those features occur in the past three days.

This is the problem though, if I have to wait until my next billing I will have certainly left my home only wifi enviornment and gone on 3G so I will not know what part of the data usage is really mine or not.
    The only thing I will be able to tell on the billing is maybe by the times???
    I have seen on previous bills some that looked "iffy" by the time and amount of data consumed but it didn't concern me then since I was on unlimited back then. Now that I am on 200 mg limited it can be a concern for me and others like me.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Are you receiving calls. Are there Voicemails from those case, these are downloaded as data.

Do you have stuff running in the background?

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it come be some apps you have on your phone will not use wifi and only use cellular data.

VM I am willing to bet will not touch wifi. It would be cellular data only. Remember somethings on AT&T side and Apple side will not touch wifi for its data transferring.

14. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

I have not had any voicemails in the past 3 days or any MM texts.
    How can I tell if there is stuff running in the background?
    I have notifications turned on, on the AP news App if that's what you mean?
    But that is the only one.

15. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

I see, In that case by my turning off all Cell Data in Settings should stop that I would think??? So let's see what happens by tomorrow data use by my turning that off.

16. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

I believe if the phone has been turned off long enough, it will drop wifi connection to help save battery. Your notifications/mail push may be used on 3G as a result.

Turning off cellular data should stop it.

17. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ahhh now there's a possible reason/fix.

18. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

This is no longer true in iOS 4. The WiFi will remain on until the user turns it off.

19. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Hhhh back to the drawing board!

20. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Is this true about MMS? I've been avoiding sending MMS over 3g and only in wifi zone.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I think it will transfer through WiFi if available. There's no reason to discriminate 3G over WiFi because the two are essentially the same connection.

22. alent1234 macrumors 603

It happens with my 3GS and ios4. Probably depends on the wifi access point as well

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AT&T can't charge you another $15 if you use more than 200 MB of wifi data; they're not the essentially the same.

24. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

From what I have noticed, this is only true when somthing that is running persistant Wi-Fi (i.e. Pandora streaming) is active, while its asleep. There have been times where I'm in a great wi-fi zone (especially at work) and it says 3G for a few seconds before reactivating the Wi-Fi. Your mileage may vary though.

25. sharvil macrumors newbie

Go to Settings > General > Usage and monitor your cellular data there.

Also, as others mentioned, visual voicemail and MMS uses cellular data.