At&t rumor - Facetime to go 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbookpro45, Jun 30, 2010.

1. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

Although I can't 'back this up', maybe you can walk into your local AT&T store and confirm it.

My cousin picks up an iPhone 4 on launch day with me present; he asks about why Facetime only works over wifi. The AT&T sales rep says, it will only be like that for a short time. Facetime will most likely go 3G soon.

Again, no facts, no evidence, just that. I just wanted to share - if this does happens, which I anticipated, it sucks for those non-unlimited data users. It makes sense, however. Why put tiered data plans unless you were planning to release something that would be a data hog aka facetime. I mean, if 98% of your data users are using less than 200MB, and they're all paying 30$ a month, why would you change it? Time will tell...

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

uuummm...tiered because of tethering...has nothing to do with FaceTime.

Bandwidth is the limitation...it will happen, but know one knows when right now, especially some stupid store employee...

3. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

While I am sure FaceTime will be over 3G in the future, take anything an Att salesman says with a grain of salt.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

it's an inevitability - it's just a question of when - not if.

5. macbookpro45 thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured it didn't have anything to do with tethering, but I could be wrong. And you're absolutely correct about employees not knowing everything. Hell, I used to work at Circuit City, and we started more rumors about release dates and new products than any website out there.

6. big0mar macrumors regular

Personally, I'd prefer it to remain solely on wi-fi. Careful what you wish for.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Lovely.

Just another use for my unlimited data plan...

...oh wait.

I'm capped at 2GB now even if I pay more for tethering...
    ...unless I enjoy overage fees that is.

8. macbookpro45 thread starter macrumors 6502

Abusing technology, perhaps? I've been in the mindset I believe you are currently in.

9. big0mar macrumors regular

More of a concern regarding resources. I don't think facetime is a feature I'll use often, so I'd prefer not to have the network tied up for it :D

10. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Apple said when they announced it that they were working with carriers to get FaceTime working on 3G. So I don't see why this would be surprising tbh.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I remember being very disappointed about thei Phone SlingPlayer app being Wifi only...I wrote to Sling Media Support to complain and they told me that they were working with AT&T and that it would be supported by 3G soon...
    Sure enough, it was...it took about 6 months but they indeed DID follow through with the 3G access...
    I think we will see FaceTime for 3G within the next 6 months...

I also think we will see a FaceTime app available for OSX to use with built in iSight cameras on Macs, and we'll see FaceTime on the next iPad with front facing camera and the upcoming iPod touch refresh coming in September...
    Apple thinks this is a "magical" app that will assist their "sell through" efforts on several platforms...

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My guess? 2013.

I'm putting my bet in. If it happens I'll be sure to dig this post up in 3 years just to brag about it.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

14. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

It will be interesting to see, because I can see that forcing everyone to goto the $25 per month 2GB data plan. I myself have the Unlimited still but there is going to be a huge amount of more data flowing thru 3G so I wonder how this will all pan out :rolleyes:

15. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i have no doubt facetime will go over 3g in the future, the only question will be the quality of facetime over 3g! :eek:

16. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I don't think this will happen yet. They did a test with the Evo being a hotspot using 3G and video and audio was very choppy.

17. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

There's aboslutely no reason why it can't be supported right now technically because the bandwidth required is there; but then again, the popularity of the iPhone 4 and the massive bandwidth saturation it will incur will most likely cause AT&T to f3king explode.

The networks in the USA just aren't ready for the iPhone 4. Phone's are getting so much more advance, it's like back in the SLIP dialup days when your computer was so quick, but when you connected via dialup, it slowed your ***** down to 80486 speeds.

18. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

If it does

Something tells me if it does go 3G you video will not be full screen like it is...would be a great way to control large amounts of data...make the video size smaller...just a thought though!

19. msduncan macrumors 6502

Engadget did a test using verizon wifi cards and it worked beautifully. This is nothing more than a 3G connection.

20. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Steve said it would be WiFi only through 2010, so the soonest we'll see it is 2011.