Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So I previous owned an S4 and I loved it. I was running a custom ROM as I'm not a huge fan of TouchWiz.

I swapped back to an iPhone 5 when iOS 7 came out, just because I like to try new things. I'm pretty bored with iOS again and so I ordered another S4 from Swappa.

It should be here Wednesday, but I was reading earlier about recent firmware updates on the AT&T S4. That's when I discovered that a version released in July known as "MF3" basically makes all exploits to bypass the locked bootloader useless.

This is a bummer because I always keep my files for rooting, ROMs, etc.

As far as I see, the only way to get a ROM other than TouchWiz is through a recovery called SafeStrap.

Anyone used this? From what I've read it seems almost like a partition on your device. I've also heard there is no factory image of MF3, so you cannot reserve this process, or even a root.

If all this is true, I'd probably be better off selling the S4 as soon as it comes in and spend the extra money on the Google Play Edition. I wasn't that interested in that edition since I was going to use a custom ROM anyway.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'd personally wait for the Nexus 5 at this point. The Google Edition S4 has alot of hardware that goes unused (and this it's overpriced) because the Touchwiz features are there to use them. Nexus 5 or Moto X is the way I'd go if you don't want the stock S4/Touchwiz.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'd personally wait for the Nexus 5 at this point. The Google Edition S4 has alot of hardware that goes unused (and this it's overpriced) because the Touchwiz features are there to use them. Nexus 5 or Moto X is the way I'd go if you don't want the stock S4/Touchwiz.

To my knowledge its only the air gesture hardware that goes unused but whatever floats your boat.

We shall see what the nexus 5 looks like but I've yet to regret my gs4 Ge. I'm not romming though, I was looking for stock android

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

I was considering the Moto X, but 2 things bothered me about it.

1. I prefer an LED notification light to its new notification system.

2. I'm one of the few that prefer Samsung's physical button arrangement to on-screen buttons.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I was considering the Moto X, but 2 things bothered me about it.

1. I prefer an LED notification light to its new notification system.

2. I'm one of the few that prefer Samsung's physical button arrangement to on-screen buttons.

Google really needs to something about that. On screen buttons or physical buttons. Some apps, my phyiscal buttons don't work because they are in the UI. Some apps use both, which is confusing.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
For the HTC One AT&T once said that they will stop the bootloader unlock after it goes on sale, but it has been 5 months already and I don't think they will lock it again such a long time after it started selling. I am quite grateful for this, and quite glad that I did not buy the AT&T S4.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
For the HTC One AT&T once said that they will stop the bootloader unlock after it goes on sale, but it has been 5 months already and I don't think they will lock it again such a long time after it started selling. I am quite grateful for this, and quite glad that I did not buy the AT&T S4.

I owned the HTC One for awhile and I actually really liked it. The only negatives I could say about it were that the LED light was extremely small and limited in colors, and I didn't like its camera.

I thought the speakers and the display were awesome though, and I did like its wide angle lens for front facing shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.