Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I ordered my iPhone 6 through Apple's website. I received my phone 14 days ago, Friday October 3rd. I went into the Apple Store today to return it thinking I was within the 14 day return policy and they informed me that the deadline was in fact yesterday, that the 3rd actually counts as day 1 and today was the 15th day. They said if it was a MacBook or an iMac they would be able to take it back no problem but bc it was through AT&T I was now locked into the contract with them and that even if Apple returned it I would still owe AT&T $750. I was pretty mad since I thought the timing was a little deceiving, most people would think 14 Days from the day of receipt, which is how most return policies work.

So I called AT&T and they informed me that I still had an additional 14 days to return the phone to them by mail. Is this true? If so, why didn't Apple tell me this? Will I still be able to get my AppleCare + refunded? How would I go about doing that? Thanks, sorry I'm so confused.

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Short answer: You're screwed. Whomever told you that you had more time misunderstood or lied. You'll owe AT&T an ETF fee and cost of a month's service. In exchange you can sell the phone and likely net out close to even.

Next time don't assume anything about return periods. Read the fine print and make sure you know the reality BEFORE the deadline.

Sorry to be blunt but there's no sugar coating given the cited facts. Clock starts at 12:00am on the day it's delivered in the best case; sometimes they'll try to claim day it was shipped to short you a couple more days.

Always worth walking into an AT&T corp store tomorrow and trying something; maybe they have a 30 day equipment exchange that they were offering up, but that likely doesn't affect the underlying contract and ETF. I think you're stuck there.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Short answer: You're screwed. Whomever told you that you had more time misunderstood or lied. You'll owe AT&T an ETF fee and cost of a month's service. In exchange you can sell the phone and likely net out close to even.

Next time don't assume anything about return periods. Read the fine print and make sure you know the reality BEFORE the deadline.

Sorry to be blunt but there's no sugar coating given the cited facts. Clock starts at 12:00am on the day it's delivered in the best case; sometimes they'll try to claim day it was shipped to short you a couple more days.

Always worth walking into an AT&T corp store tomorrow and trying something; maybe they have a 30 day equipment exchange that they were offering up, but that likely doesn't affect the underlying contract and ETF. I think you're stuck there.

Why would I have to break my contract? I still have my 4S.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

Yup, one would think it was 14 days from getting the device. But one only has him/herself to blame if you don't read the receipt.

To OP, why do you want to return the phone?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
So I called AT&T and they informed me that I still had an additional 14 days to return the phone to them. Is this true? If so, why didn't Apple tell me this? Will I still be able to get my AppleCare + refunded? How would I go about doing that? Thanks, sorry I'm so confused.

Unfortunately, AT&T sucks at communication. Either the "additional 14 days" person lied to you/didn't know what they were talking about, or AT&T isn't communicating well enough to Apple.

Call AT&T back, get confirmation on how long you have to return your phone. If they still say you specifically have 14 more days (not just a generic blanket "you have 14 days" statement, but that you, specifically, have 14 more days), get them to note the exact final day for return on your account, get it in writing if you can, and head right back to the store to return that bad boy.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yup, one would think it was 14 days from getting the device. But one only has him/herself to blame if you don't read the receipt.

To OP, why do you want to return the phone?

Because it's too big. The smooth rounded edges also make it slippery and very difficult to hold onto. A case is not an option for me.

----------

Unfortunately, AT&T sucks at communication. Either the "additional 14 days" person lied to you/didn't know what they were talking about, or AT&T isn't communicating well enough to Apple.

Call AT&T back, get confirmation on how long you have to return your phone. If they still say you specifically have 14 more days (not just a generic blanket "you have 14 days" statement, but that you, specifically, have 14 more days), get them to note the exact final day for return on your account, get it in writing if you can, and head right back to the store to return that bad boy.

They said you have 14 extra days only by mailing it in to them (AT&T).

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
How can you mail the phone to AT&T when in fact you ordered it from apple.com. That customer care rep must be new to the company.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately, you might be stuck. Best bet is to sell the phone and use that to offset your losses. Or get someone who wants to be on AT&T to take over the account, and buy the phone from you.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
How can you mail the phone to AT&T when in fact you ordered it from apple.com. That customer care rep must be new to the company.

That's what I thought. Maybe they have an arrangement with Apple or they refurbish or scrap them.

----------

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately, you might be stuck. Best bet is to sell the phone and use that to offset your losses. Or get someone who wants to be on AT&T to take over the account, and buy the phone from you.

Can I get $700 for it?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Why would I have to break my contract? I still have my 4S.

The new 2yr contract started on the day your new phone arrived if you bought it under contract; prior to that you were on month by month service most likely. Now you have a $325(?) ETF if you go to a different carrier, less $10 per month over the next 24 months.

You're adding info not in the original post, so don't wonder why people didn't know about stuff you never mentioned. No prior mention of the 4S or that there was a mail-it-in contingency on the return time extension.

If you bought it at retail price, no new contract. If you bought it via NEXT, you still have the installment plan to pay off. Especially since it seems unusual for AT&T to take a return of a phone bought via Apple. Not saying it can't happen, just first I've heard of such a practice.

They said you have 14 extra days only by mailing it in to them (AT&T).

Never heard of this. I'd get confirmed details and even then consider going to a corp store.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
The new 2yr contract started on the day your new phone arrived if you bought it under contract; prior to that you were on month by month service most likely. Now you have a $325(?) ETF if you go to a different carrier, less $10 per month over the next 24 months.

You're adding info not in the original post, so don't wonder why people didn't know about stuff you never mentioned. No prior mention of the 4S or that there was a mail-it-in contingency on the return time extension.

If you bought it at retail price, no new contract. If you bought it via NEXT, you still have the installment plan to pay off. Especially since it seems unusual for AT&T to take a return of a phone bought via Apple. Not saying it can't happen, just first I've heard of such a practice.

Never heard of this. I'd get confirmed details and even then consider going to a corp store.

Oh sorry yeah I thought from my other threads people knew I was contemplating going back to my 4S. If this turns out to be false can I get them to still honor the guys word?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If this turns out to be false can I get them to still honor the guys word?

I wouldn't hold your breath. That's why I recommend a corporate ATT store so you're not sending the phone off somewhere only to then get stuck in who knows what kind of limbo. Get anything told to you in writing. Still may not help but it at least forces them to believe what they're saying enough to write it down and have it come back to them.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I wouldn't hold your breath. That's why I recommend a corporate ATT store so you're not sending the phone off somewhere only to then get stuck in who knows what kind of limbo. Get anything told to you in writing. Still may not help but it at least forces them to believe what they're saying enough to write it down and have it come back to them.
What do you mean a corporate store?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What do you mean a corporate store?

An AT&T store owned and operated by AT&T rather than by an independent reseller who happens to sell AT&T phones and plans.

Go to wireless.att.com and click on "Store Locations & Appointments" and find a "company store" nearby, not an "authorized reseller".

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
An AT&T store owned and operated by AT&T rather than by an independent reseller who happens to sell AT&T phones and plans.

Go to wireless.att.com and click on "Store Locations & Appointments" and find a "company store" nearby, not an "authorized reseller".
Oh yeah. Don't you think that's kind of bullcrap not to honor the return when the 14/15th day discrepancy is deceiving to begin with and contrasts with how almost every other return policy works?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

So I just got off the phone with another rep, she said that the one I spoke with was misinformed and apologized saying there was nothing they could do, then asked a coworker who informed her they were able to do an upgrade reversal (no idea what that is) for a full refund and she emailed me a return label! As crazy as this sounds, now I'm second guessing myself! It makes sense, you always want what you can't have. Decision making is torturous for me, always has been.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I pretty much any policy to be interpreted in favor of the company rather than the consumer. Whether they're being deceitful is subject to debate, but IMHO it is the duty of the customer to read the fine print and understand the actual meaning.

----------

I'd make sure I responded to the email detailing your understanding of what will happen and confirm you're on the same page. Then if that should not be the case you might have a half a chance... ;)

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I pretty much any policy to be interpreted in favor of the company rather than the consumer. Whether they're being deceitful is subject to debate, but IMHO it is the duty of the customer to read the fine print and understand the actual meaning.

----------

I'd make sure I responded to the email detailing your understanding of what will happen and confirm you're on the same page. Then if that should not be the case you might have a half a chance... ;)

Oh I made sure on the phone and had her send it to me in writing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.