AT&T says 6/16 order date is irrelevant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Ray, Jun 21, 2010.

1. The Ray macrumors member

I ordered my phone at about 5:30 AM on 6/15. It took about 24 hours for the order to actually show up on their site, and it gives an order date of 6/16. Obviously, like many of you, that worries me. So, I called.

I have to say, I've been on the phone with them several times since this debacle began, and I've been SHOCKED at how helpful they are. AT&T must pay some big bucks to have some native English speakers who are actually trained. So, at least they're doing SOMETHING right. Honestly, I haven't ever had such helpful customer service reps from any company, ever. It's surprising, since the company seems so bad at everything else.

Anyway, she dug around in my order, and says that it's showing that my order was placed on 6/15, despite the order status being 6/16. She says that date only reflects when the order was processed, and that my place in line is set from when I actually placed the order.

She also said that my phone is scheduled to arrive on Thursday. But interestingly enough, she says that some phones are scheduled to arrive as soon as WEDNESDAY. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but some people may be getting a pleasant surprise.

Bottom line: if you're worried about it, just call 611. They should be able to tell you when you're getting your phone.

2. tw33k2514 macrumors newbie

So does your status page have a tracking number?

3. The Ray thread starter macrumors member

No tracking number yet. I asked about that specifically, and she says the system shows that I will receive the phone on the 24th.

4. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

I had called earlier today, the 866-499-8008 number, and I was told pretty much the same thing I highlighted in your post.
    The rep advised that although it shows on the "general" AT&T website of order date 6/16, since I placed my pre-order on 6/15 (via premier website) they are honoring the ORIGINAL order date. The way they are doing this is actually going into the system manually and verifying order dates. That's probably why it's taking so long for people to get their status' updated. (MY guess)
    Also, she stated (I asked to repeat it) that my order will arrive on 6/24 as scheduled and I should be receiving a FedEx number within 24 hrs. Just to be patient, they (AT&T) is sorting the issues out.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

AT&T and Apple have done this 3 times before. There should be NO issues to work out.

6. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

they also did preorder 2 times before...and?

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I'd like to be optimistic and say that this pre-order mess has been the worst in history and both parties (Apple and AT&T) are going to prevent it from ever happening again.

But I'm a realist so I know I'm bs'ing myself even typing that.

Count yourself lucky if you can make a call on Thursday on the AT&T network and iTunes still works.

8. nowheregirl macrumors newbie

No confirmation e-mail, but called AT&T and my iphone 4 has shipped!

So, I was one of the countless masses who wasted a good chunk of 6/15 trying to no avail to pre-order an iphone on both the Apple and AT&T sites. Once I actually got to the payment screen in the AT&T store and entered all the info, but was told the connection timed out, so assumed I was SOL...

Tonight I receive a bizarre e-mail from AT&T entitled "Let's Talk About Your New Phone." I had an unreal feeling...could it be?...only to open it and see that it's a message about my two year old Samsung Blackjack II! :( I log on to my AT&T account and it shows the Samsung and an upgrade eligibility date for the iPhone of 2/17/2012!!!! :mad:

So, I flip out and call customer service and they inform me that I signed a new contract on 6/16/10. :confused: She digs around and is able to confirm that despite the fact I did NOT receive an order confirmation at the end of the ordering process, NOR did I receive a confirmation e-mail, there is a FedEx tracking number associated with an iPhone 4 that may arrive as early as 6/23!!!

I wanted to post and suggest that others who were unsuccessful check their upgrade eligibility date and may you have the same luck as I. :D

[​IMG]
    P.S. I tried to post a screen capture as proof, but I guess as a n00b, I'm not allowed.

9. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

Awesome!

10. ali9686 macrumors member

ali9686

i got the same e-mail this morning, but it was for my old Sony Ericsson that had lying around since i sold of my N97 on 6/16. I have been using it since but got the e-mail today.

btw, i did pre-order with ATT(regular website) at 3:00pm EST 6/15. It posted the next day as date ordered on 6/16 with nothing back ordered. Got a confirmation e-mail at 5:00am on the 6/16th too.
    Still waiting for some tracking info..:(

11. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I had a order status 6/16 too even though I was a 8AM EST 6/15 buyer. I just shipped - UPS.

Non Premier

32GB Black

12. nowheregirl macrumors newbie

I got no e-mail regarding shipping, but the rep told me to go here:

https://www.wireless.att.com/order_status/

And it gave me a FedEx tracking number! Good luck to you all!