AT&T + second line cancellation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by genkuro, Nov 5, 2010.

1. genkuro macrumors newbie

Oh boy, more contract fun. I upgraded from a 1st gen to a 3G to a 3GS. So I have a few phones laying around.

I offered a phone to a relative and added it as a second line to my plan. He changed his mind a while later and went with an Android. I tried to cancel the second line. AT&T wants $310.

I came from Verizon. It was trivial to add/drop a line with them. So the cancellation thing caught me by surprise.

I tried arguing with AT&T over their support line. They said to go to a physical store and fight with them instead. So I'm trying that next.

Thought I'd at least ask what other people's experience has been. Will AT&T drop the cancellation fee with enough strategic whining?

Thanks much.

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You have 30 days to cancel a line and return the equipment. After 30 days you are SOL and have to pay the ETF. You signed a legal 2year contract so you're stuck.

Unless you are out of contract Verizon is exactly the same. I don't understand your comment about Verizon. After 30 days you have to pay the ETF. Actually I think Verizon may be 14 days.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Well, if you cancel the data plan, then break down the cost of the remainder of the two years, assuming its about $14 a month, it might be cheaper just paying to the end of the contract.

If your primary bill is over $100 a month you can upgrade your phone after 12 months. Then either turn around and sell it for a profit and then pay off the cancellation of the second line or sell your older iphone and pay off the other line.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

as long as you didn't sign up for a new contract by getting a free/discounted phone for it then you can cancel it anytime, if not then you have to pay ETF or do the time since they sold you a phone w/ discounted price...

5. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Yeah, this is my question....did you add the new line while also getting a discount on a phone? If not and you picked up a used phone to create the second line, the I'd fight 'em. If you got a subsidized phone, then you owe the ETF and just need to pay it.

6. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

If you can get out of it Id make the relative pay the ETF. He kinda screwed you.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They wont cancell the contract without paying the ETF, you can try to argue all you want.
    Just like Verizon and every other carrier when you agree to a 2 year term you either stay or pay thats it.