AT&T Service & Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kage207, Oct 20, 2009.

1. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Okay, so I'm really wondering why everyone complains about the service AT&T provides.

So the question is, where do you get bad service? -Basement, house, car, etc.
    Do you actually get a lot of drop calls?
    Poor phone call receptions? -Static?

So these are a few questions I feel like asking. Let's really not try to be bias. I've only been with AT&T.

The first question answer for me is I get bad signal in very few places where most of my friends do as well with Verizon. I got bad signal in my dorm rooms when in college but that was just the bottom floor / lunch area because it was under 6 floors and then the bottom where laundry area were it was underground.

I don't get many drop calls though I don't call as much people do. I use about 200minutes a month and I maybe get 1 dropped call?

I never get static, I get chopped voices but even then it's because they are driving through a bad area they know about. I maybe get it once a month because of an area.

My main problem with AT&T is that I can't tether right now, even though I hardly have a use for it but it's nice when I'm at the airport. I fly about 2-6 times a year, not sure if that's normal. The second problem is that I am paying for the 7.2mbps and I'm not receiving it yet. I understand it takes time to set up these networks so it can handle the load but, they've had time and I bet Apple said they wanted the 3GS to be faster a long time ago. They did some what drop the ball on MMS. Though, again understandable for how many iPhones have been sold in the US alone and how much they've increased mobile data traffic.

My main problem isn't with AT&T as it is with Apple. I enjoy my iPhone and such. I had the original and now the 3GS but I'm still sometimes having the same issues. One is sometimes getting missed calls and no ringing. Second, being text messages being delayed or not even sent at times (could be AT&T service, so either or on that account). Sometimes getting voicemails days later (again it could be software or AT&T service). So those are my main problems with the phone but it's understandable with a smartphone such as this.

This isn't to be a rant, but to see if people actually have the same problem such as my voicemail or phone quality. I really don't see it to be that bad as people say it to be. I've had the first one for 2 years and now the 3GS for almost 4 months?

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I've always had great reception at home (3rd floor apt) and pretty much everywhere in the St. Louis area other than out near my parents' house, which is in a rural, hilly area. In traveling recently, I also had great service in Chicago, Nashviile, and Houston. 3G coverage was spotty at best in areas of Louisiana and MS on the drive home, but I pretty much always had Edge, at least. There was a 10 mile stretch or so of I-55 in Louisiana where I had almost no signal; of course, that was when we were trying to use Yelp or Urbanspoon to find somewhere to eat dinner. :p

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Probably about 1 or 2 dropped calls per day. So several hundred over the life of my phone.

In 2008 my average download speeds on 3G was around 1,100 kbps. In 2009 it tends to be around around 300-500 kbps on 3G. (Some areas are faster now...up to 1,500 kpbs. But 400 is still more common.)

This is all in Washington DC. I've found less populated areas to be a total joy in terms of download speed and call stability (Hatteras, NC and Columbus, OH as 2 examples).

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Sorry--forgot to add that yesterday I had the first dropped calls ever from my home. I was in a panic, thinking something was going on with my phone, but it turned out that AT&T was having problems that, in their words, caused "extremely mediocre" service. That made me lol. Well, I lol'ed after I got done restoring, re-JB'ing, and re-tweaking pretty much everything on my phone. Grr.

5. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

Mostly the same experience as you, occasional dropped call, reception is spotty in my basement and I tend to see the phone go into ...searching... mode every so often.

Call quality is ok, as good as any cell phone in my experience.

I have had phantom voicemails that appear hours or days later without having heard the phone ring (I have always assumed it is the ...searching... mode that causes this). I don't use SMS much, but what little I do, it seems fine.

The only other issue is conference calls, if I merge too soon, I get one way talk path and cannot hear the other party I just called to add.