AT&T Service Contract - liitle help...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vrflyer, Sep 3, 2008.

1. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

So basically I'm a first time customer for about little over 30 days (already have made a payment to my account since it cycled). Make a long story short I wasn't (NOT eligible) able to obtain Data Global Add-Ons for iPhone service nor World Connect added to my line. They said (3 dif. tier reps) my account was "too new" to do so and the system would not allow it. The account must be 90-days old to be able to do these add-ons.

I'm all ok with this if rules are rules (blah-blah-blah), however this disclaimer is nowhere to be found under my contract nor under their site www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/ . :rolleyes:

My question to anyone with exp on this subject, is this true? Where can I find this info they are giving me over the phone?

I'm an ex T-Mobile user, so this comes as a surprise to me since I was able to add these very same type of features on my own within a couple weeks I had started a contract with them. :confused:

This basically means that I'm stuck in WiFi mode only through out my upcoming 15 day vacation trip. :(

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

As these are add-on features they look at them based on your credit and the length of time you have been with AT&T. It is not in the TOS or your contract and doesn't need to be as they are add-ons to your service.

But you should consider yourself actually lucky as you are better off without them. If you are traveling internationally, get a prepaid sim and an unlocked phone (you can't unlock the iPhone 3G yet). Trust me, it isn't as convenient but it will save you a lot of money. I do this for people in my company all of the time. They hate me for making them do it but I like the fact the company doesn't have to pay out hundreds of dollars in int'l voice and data roaming that starts at $0.99/minute and goes up to over $4.99/minute for voice roaming and for data starts at $0.0195/KB.

3. vrflyer thread starter macrumors 6502

vrflyer

I realize this, but that's the part I don't get. I got the iPhone with zero $$$ required upon approval. I guess having sub par credit doesn't mean jack (LOL!).

As far as these "add-ons" go, T-Mobile seems a bit more trusting as you're able to personally add them via self acct mgmt.

Yeah that would be totally useless for my needs, since I'm going to three dif. locations in Mexico and South America.

4. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Not totally true. Check out One Roam. You get an Estonian cell number but that really doesn't matter. I've used them and they work just fine.

The only downside with prepaid sims is none that I have been able to find allow for data (and I'm talking about ones for int'l roaming like One Roam, not PAYG options).

If data is an absolute must, try going to a local AT&T corporate store and talking to a manager. You may have give AT&T a deposit but you may get further with the local store instead of a CSR on the phone.